[syndicate] Re: Yes, but is it art?

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Mon Mar 11 07:33:03 CET 2002

> > basically it is completely against the net idea. no ?
>
>can you say few words more about why not?

yes, will try )

the network idea to me is basically a social idea
( hm .. could call this idealism also ... and this is possibly what will
trap me all the time )

a network is a system in which hierarchical structures should be replaced by
different interacting individuals in a rather fluidic form ..

basically the internet provides a structure where this kind of model is
possible
but what can be perceived on the net is that it gets more and more pressed
into hierarchical structures

possibly hierarchical structures are easier to understand, actually most of
the time I think that people are quite happy with them .. somehow they know
what they get ...

the Java Museum in my opinion establishes a hierarchical structure for net
based art works
it puts the 'known' museum concept on the net
there is a curator, a somehow designed page ( the house ) and a lot of
advertisement for the 'exhibitions'
and the curator also ...
so much that I sometimes ask myself if it is possibly not at all about the
works of the artists but about the curator ... there is normally less
promotion for real space activities, by the way

I really do not understand why one should do this ... the works are on the
net anyway ... the artist do not need the curator at all, so why accepting
the hierarchy ?... and that one's work is possibly used to promote the
curators ideas .... and the restrictions made by him ?
______________

Since artists started to reflect about their environment -
self-reflection became an important aspect in their working.
Therefore nobody will be surprised that the self-portrait belongs
to those formats artist are using which produce
the artistically most qualitative results :
from the critical view through the "mirror at the bottom".

1.jpg for image (max. 800x600 pixels)
2. .mov for video (Quicktime movie, size max 600x480 pixels, 2Mb)
3. animated gif (size max 320x240 pixels) and
.swf (Shockwave Flash, size max. 600x480 pixels, 2Mb) for animations
4. html pages may include Javascript or embedded Java Applets (mx 2Mb),
Shockwave Flash or Quicktime.
5. .mp3 for sound
6. .doc (Rich text Format) and .txt or email for text/words
7. URLs of works, which may have embedded JavaApplets, Shockwave Flash or
Quicktime.
Up to 3 works can be submitted,

________________________________

why supporting this ?
doesn't supporting this counteracts against the work one is doing ?
at least when one calls oneself a net.worker ? assuming that this is a
social idea.

basically I am aking questions .. it's pretty easy possibly, because I do
not at all produce works that could be presented this way ... the only time
I ever included the net in a work, was for a performance, which actually
happened in real space ) ...

well ...

adding now here:

in a supposedly non hierarchical system the creative has a very important role

to assume one could get to a state of a really non-hierarchical structure
is possibly too much
the creative will have a stronger position, because s/he can more easily
adapt to the changes and also
because the creative will be the person possibly initiating these changes
or stabilizing the system.

non hierarchical is actually a kind of simulation
it's always possible to destroy the system
if there are not enough people stabilizing the system via communication
'personal' links ...
)
which is where I started that it is about communication --- > understanding
(at least accepting)

the basics are openness.

but the network idea which I can see in the exposed crosspostings
is actually rather not the one of really constructing or trying to
construct but by 'testing' these systems
exposed 'private' conversation can have the same effect
it's probably necessary to prove its fluidic form from time to time

the fluidic will stand it ( proof - it is what it should be ) and possibly
transform a little
the other will exclude ( proof - it's not what it should be ) or in the
best case mobilize enough forces to transform into a fluidic open one

kind of

I like Syndicate  )
because of these discussions and because I ask myself, why peter is an hour
ahead, because it makes me smile that Arie had almost success with a
provocation ( smack ), because nn likes to sleep and naturally does not do
anything useful ( smile ) ... oh not true ... a lie actually ...
because I have some idea why frederic is saying what he says. In my opinion
there is a lot of personal concern in his questions, possibly because he
knows where it possibly can lead to, to act as a crossposter/spammer
(isolation?)
in any case he would not say anything if he would not be concerned because
he actually knows how to filter
and he likes these works anyway, so i do not understand the dimension of
the fuss .... hm .. well possibly,  I do ... I also like him serving my (
or his ? ) idealism by sitting and writing some text for a project for
Syndicate collaboration  ( smile )
because we have another porno link on the list ( do I really like that ?
well ....; ) .. because I realized that andrei still exists somewhere,
because I sometimes fight with Anna ( kind of ) because we are soooooooo
different ;) we have to do this .. and sometimes not because I have the
slight idea that she will not be very happy if Syndicate only is a internet
project (puh) ... because clement thinks en rosé ... because two marks
posts very differently ...
because igor made a very nice presentation of his projects here, and none
of the students asked one strange question about his net.orgasm theory
(smile) ( and unfortunately he made the very annoying experience with
Western style administrations how they can be ), because there are these
questions that are difficult to answer ... and because I hope that someone
else might have a solution for life ... : )

it's all about rather personal links
and I am very happy when I meet people in 'real space'
and I like very much acting 'outside'. it's much more direct and easier.
direct communication produces less misunderstandings, I guess. for me this
idea has very much to do with going outside. it's not bound to the
internet. not at all.

hmmmm***** .... basically why I am here is naturally about being very selfish
( serving my idealism ) and it makes me act how I act.
network is a social idea and I like communication [concepts] ( self
promotional ).

the journey only has one station.

for now
claudia