yes, but is it art

Anna Balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Mar 10 10:11:25 CET 2002

Dear mez, and all,
I find your work coherent when crossposted on different
list, both from the point of view of form and content
(predict virality, if I understand well). I also find a lot
of hypocrisy in the 'destroying the community discourse'
argument. Art is playing a role in building communities,
presently more important maybe than theory or narrative.
In [East Europe, where civil society got destroyed in the
last 50 years] a lot of public places which were emptied
and lost their social role, such as public baths (several
Turkish baths in Romania and Hungary), synagogues (many
synagogues in Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania) or coq
fight arenas in Spain to mention an example from West
Europe, became [avant garde] contemporary art centers and
wilfully assume a role of building communities, sometimes
political roles as well. Normally the mailing list have the
same function on the net.
To ban artists from these spaces... erase the topics they
bring up... [specially in your case when it is so relevant
and important] and push a correctness of narrative, is
destructive and hypocritic. What kind of community can be
the australian people working with media, when they reject
to consider, analyse or at least tolerate their content?
It is so difficult to understnad for me, since at least in
East Europe new media art is deeply rooted in the
politically engaged avantgarde scene, the world of
samisdat, underground press involved in all media.
I am totally sorry, if this event affects you, hope you
will continue your work. We can document and archive the
banning on the syndicate list [exchange of emails,
opinions] if you like to do that.
greetings,
anna balint