[syndicate] Re: Yes, but is it art?

self re:ply.cator netwurker at hotkey.net.au
Sun Mar 10 05:35:28 CET 2002

At 01:55 AM 3/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>well .. it is political incorrect ( on this list ? )

apparently fred thinks my postings [& here i'm assuming that his comment
re: not "get[ting] the point of what you do anymore" is in reference 2 my
code.wurks & dispersal of info regarding these] r irrelevant in terms of
artistic vision....& that's his right.........unfortunately i just can't
believe that fred would do this....i've been thinking perhaps he's acting 2
cut thru woteva he thinks i'm doing & get me talking rather than
poeticising.......

>)
>
>to have to maintain political correctness all the time is a form of
>censorship as well

absolutely, as is the assumption that ppl on a mailing list:
a) cannot d.cide 4 themselves how to navigate & absorb inform][accumula][tion
b) is an amorphous group of regular dialogical d.votees who r present on
mailing lists in order 2 b x.posed 2 promotional/descriptive information
with no depth perception regarding the info/data politik nor the nuanced
actualities that surround the use of such lists/net.works.......
b) that individuals have the right 2 _own_ & there4 _maintain_ a space on
the net.work [ie in.boxes] that must subjected 2 info that is
dis.curs][e][ive in nature & representative of an
isolation-data-presentation........

>think it's good to have this discussion, especially as the attack comes
>quite surprising from frederic's side

yes, it has affected me greatly.
[how does a spam generator fit in2 this ideology??]

>>f, the cross-posting is ][more than][ necessary.......
>
>as this is related to Fibreculture, I would agree
>)

yes......the attempt to segregate & mainline information in2 concrete
anglo/euro/americanacentric info|theory|-blocks in these forums is
disheartening.....

>it is, as far as I am informed, one of the lovely projects of G. Lovink to
>spread moderated mailing lists on the world, which also spread his opinion
>on media art .. this aside ..
>

>there was at least one sentence which I found quite revealing
>about staying in 'theatre' places
>
>actually frederic ? what are you up to ?
>some suspect on my side

i hope that their is a hidden [+ative] agendah from f here 2.......

>do you think being unsubscribed has become a fashion for 'radical' artists ?
>hm ... because it's happening more and more often actually ...

mebbe, i'm not ][largely][ considered radical so i'm not sure........i find
it soul-destroying & indicative of a shuttering of linked communication
avenues...a collapsing of creative infra.structural possibilities....

>could also be a fashion in the curator world. to put art more and more
>into defined places. no ?

absolutely.

>you experienced the same mess on other lists. Curators inviting artists
>and then complaining about that they act like artists.

yup.

>>again, a shame......if all u c here is self-pro.motional activity, then
>>so b it...........this is far from the truth from my end, but i guess it
>>doesn't matter about n.tention anymore...u'll c wot u c.......the fact
>>that u c the act of deletion & x.tended x.posure as negative says it
>>all........
>
>a provocation ?

gawd i'm keeping my tendrils crossed that this is the case.......

>>>why would anyone care about being labeled art on the internet ?
>

>oops, I guess, here we are at the point what this discussion is really about
>
>to play in the theatre ?
>curators are interested in the art label ? aren't they ?
>
>now, there is this White Cube subject again.
>is it good to play in the White Cube ?
>necessary ?

typing as 1 who isn't really n.terested in the white cube, i'm not 2
sure........

c.hear][ing aid][s,
mez

  net.wurker][mez][