Wigged.net's Mid-June E-Newsletter

Seth Thompson seththompson at wigged.net
Fri Jun 21 12:46:00 CEST 2002

   WIGGED.NET  JUNE 2002 E-NEWSLETTER--VOL. 2 ISSUE 12

   Wigged.net (http://www.wigged.net) is an evolving Webzine focused on

   bringing innovative short videos, animations and interactive works over

   the Internet.  Our mission is to be a showcase, distribution and promotion

   center for pioneering artists via the World Wide Web.

   For information on advertising in Wigged.net's E- Newsletter or on

   Wigged.net, please contact seththompson at wigged.net.

   +Call for Works

   +Shows & Performances

   + Kudos

   +Reflections on Utopia: Sarawut Chutiwongpeti's Work in Perspective.

   +Publicity Opportunity

   CALL FOR WORKS

   Seeking innovative and experimental video, animation and net art.  Please

   visit http://www.wigged.net and go to the "submit media" page to fill out

   our on-line registration form and send requested materials.

   DEADLINE: July 15, 2002 for Wigged's September-December, 2002 issue.

   SHOWS & PERFORMANCES

   NIGHT VISION
   Curated by Joy Garnett

   June 14 - July 20, 2002

   White Columns

   320 West 13th Street (entrance on Horatio Street)

   NYC 10014, USA

   Night Vision presents artists who are influenced by technologies developed

   by the military, government intelligence agencies, and NASA for use in

   research, surveillance and combat. The title of the exhibition is taken

   from the high-tech optical apparatus used in nocturnal military

   operations, whose green glow has become familiar to television viewers.

   Some of the artists in this exhibition co-opt these technological

   advancements while others examine public perception of them as revealed by

   film, television and news media in order to explore the various murky

   implications surrounding their uses.

   Participating artists:

   Jordan Crandall | Christoph Draeger | Joy Garnett | Adam Hurwitz | Bill

   Jones + Ben Neill | John Klima |Joseph Nechvatal | Jonathan Podwil |

   Radical Software Group

   Thursday June 27th, 2002, 7-10pm

   BEN NEILL + BILL JONES LIVE PERFORMANCE

   Ben Neill and his mutantrumpet will play music from his forthcoming album

   "Automotive" along with midi-video performance by collaborator Bill Jones.

   Wednesday July 17th, 2002 7-9pm

   ARTIST PANEL + OPEN DISCUSSION

   Night Vision artists and writer Tim Griffin will present their work and

   ideas touched upon in the exhibition.

   *****************

   GenTerra,
   A project by Critical Art Ensemble and Beatriz da Costa

   The New Museum of Contemporary Art, 583 Broadway, NYC

   Thursday, June 20, 2002, 6.30-8.00.pm

   GenTerra is a performance by Critical Art Ensemble and Carnegie Mellon

   University Robotic Art Researcher Beatriz da Costa. Posing as a company

   dealing with transgenics - the isolation of one or more genes from one or

   more organisms to create another, new organism - GenTerra highlights the

   complex relationship between for-profit ventures and the ethical

   considerations involved in transgenics research and product development.

   GenTerra is a participatory 'theater' made up of a lab tent, four computer

   station displaying the company's CD-Rom, and a "bacteria release machine."

   This event will take place on the first floor gallery and is free with

   Museum admission. ($3 on Thursdays from 6-8pm)

   GenTerra is planned in conjunction with Open_Source_Art_Hack on view

   through

   June 30, 2002 in the New Museum's Zenith Media Lounge. For more

   information

   about the exhibition, please visit http://www.newmuseum.org .

   *****************

   Prints + Chips

   bitforms

   529 west 20th

   New York, NY 10011

   212 366 6939

   June 20 - July 27 2002
   Opening reception Saturday, June 22, 2002 6-8
   Guest Curator: Michele Thursz

   "Prints + Chips" is realized as a unit of styles being presented by
   artists using gaming systems, communication platforms. Each work reveals
   the relationship between production and object specificity. As a dialogue
   Prints + Chips looks at the temporality of mediums and the fluidity of the
   concepts as objects being realized by artist using computer or electronic
   mediums.

   KUDOS

   GRANT APPROVED TO RESEARCH COMPUTER ARTS IN BRITAIN FROM 1950S TO 1980

   A team of outstanding researchers, including fAf's Executive Editor Paul

   Brown, Dr Charlie Gere from the School of History of Art, Film and Visual

   Media at Birkbeck, University of London, and George Mallen, the co-founder

   of the Computer Arts Society, has been awarded over half million US dollar

   by UK's Arts and Humanities Research Board, to research, document,

   contextualise and archive the history of the computer arts in Britain from

   the 1950s to 1980. This piece of exciting news features in the June issue

   of fAf (http://www.fineartforum.org).

   Evolving Traditions: Artists Working in New Media

   Video Documentary. 2002. (Color, 56:35)

   Directed and produced by Seth Thompson.

   Profiles four internationally recognized artists who have incorporated

   current computer technology into their work to enhance their artistic

   visions.  Artists addressed are: Mark Amerika, Tennessee Rice Dixon, Toni

   Dove, and Troika Ranch.

   The documentary is currently distributed by Wigged Productions and is

   available for $29.95 (includes S/H) at

   http://www.wigged.net/evolvingtraditions/ .

   WIGGED NEWS ARTICLE

   Reflections on Utopia: Sarawut Chutiwongpeti's Work in Perspective.
   By Seth Thompson

   Two years have passed, since Sarawut Chutiwongpeti's Utopia 1997 came to

   my attention.  At first, I was intrigued by the aesthetics of the piece

   and did not realize the implicit foresight that the work would have in the

   upcoming years.  Due to a chain of events two years ago, I had placed the

   article on the backburner.

   Recently, Chutiwongpeti contacted me in regard to the status of the

   article.  This exchange began a dialogue with him that spurred me to look

   once again at his work and to reexamine his ideas in a June 2002

   timeframe. With such events as the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on

   the United States' financial and political capitols; inflated conflicts

   between Palestine and Israel; and now threats of suicide bombers and

   anthrax have crept into the United States landscape, I realize how

   Chutiwongpeti's work foreshadowed these events.

   The installation presents the viewer with ideas of more than just gorgeous

   lights and lines within an environment.  Pieces of broken glass lay on the

   floor; dates of long ago events accompanied by different geographical

   locales such as Iran and other texts are scattered throughout the room;

   video monitors lay on the floor presenting "man's" great accomplishments;

   and missile crater relics are encapsulated in this environmental

   sculpture. Utopia 1997 is not a depiction of Eden, but rather envelopes

   remnants of chaos and danger of a society past. It is a cautionary sign to

   be wary amidst superficial peace and beauty.

   The piece reminds me of Thomas Cole's 1836 painting The Course of Empire:

   Desolation which can be found at the New York Historical Society.  The

   final piece in a series of five, the painting illustrates the aftermath of

   a society once great--destroyed by warfare, overindulgence and greed.

   Nature is now overtaking the architectural artifacts of the once great

   society--slowly returning the urban landscape to its natural beauty.  In

   Chutiwongpeti's installation Utopia 1997, sounds of nature are all that

   remain except for audio artifacts from the media that reminds the viewer

   of what once was.

   Chutiwongpeti writes,

   "The contradictory side of utopia is full of pessimism.  Man's quest to

   conquer distant galaxies, endless search for territories and colonies

   reflect this inner instinct for power, aggrandizement, and control. The

   imbalance of power between those who control and those under control has

   contributed to this order and dilemma.

   In the era of confusion and distortion values of aesthetics and common

   sense have been greatly transformed.  At the end of the century we are

   facing the crisis of world civilization."

   It is my fear that Chutiwongpeti is right--that we live in a world that is

   becoming increasingly chaotic and inhumane.  I ask myself, "Why are we

   killing each other in the name of religion?  Isn't spirituality and

   religion's mission to provide us with a structure for peaceful living?"

   The beautiful façade of Utopia 1997 is evident at first glance but as we

   look closer we begin to see some possible disturbing artifacts of our

   future's past.

   Born in Thailand, Sarawut Chutiwongpeti is a young artist who has already
   received international acclaim.  He can be reached
   atutopia1998 at hotmail.com . His website
   is:http://artists.banff.org/sarawut/

   PUBLICITY OPPORTUNITY

   We are looking to promote your upcoming exhibitions and new releases.  If

   you would like for us to promote your work either through our newsletter

   or Wigged.net webzine, please send your press releases to:

   Seth Thompson

   Wigged Productions

   418 Woodland Ave.

   Akron, OH  44302

   or you may e-mail press releases to seththompson at wigged.net.  No file

   attachments will be accepted.  If you have images that you would like to

   include, please send them via snail mail to the above address.

   Please Note: To remove your e-mail address from my list simply reply to

   this message and type the word "unsubscribe" in the Subject field at the

   top of your reply.  If you have more than one e-mail address through which

   you might be receiving this, please be sure to list them all.

   --
   Seth Thompson
   Wigged.net
   seththompson at wigged.net