FREE MANIFESTA NEWSLETTER 14.06.02

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Mon Jun 17 14:49:08 CEST 2002

       FREE MANIFESTA NEWSLETTER 14.6.02

       CURRENT & UPCOMING EVENTS

       HAPPENING NOW: Swoon, a Brooklyn-based street artist is postering
       around Frankfurt & giving away stickers at the Free Manifesta
       Headquarters.  Sara Reeske, also from Brooklyn, is altering some of
       the Free Manifesta office furniture -- stop by and see her at work.
       Rryan Ceol is intervening in some of the free Manifesta 4 literature.
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/ceol.html

       FRIDAY & SATURDAY, JUNE 14 & 15 - TEACH/LEARN CHESS - chess lessons
       with Brooklyn artist Sharilyn Neidhardt, in the spirit of isabelle
       reichert, who taught me that "playing chess makes one a better
       artist".  At & near the Free Manifesta headquarters in the
       Frankfurter Kunstverein.  Sharilyn will also be giving away cd-roms
       of her LIGHT PAINTINGS - photographs which are abstract swirls
       created by photographing various lightsources with slow shutter
       speeds using a digital camera.  Sharilyn is a member of the
       Brooklyn-based Glowlab Collective.
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/neidhardt.html
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/neidhardt2.html

       SUNDAY JUNE 16 - VIRUS ON FOOT: GENERATIVE PSYCHOGEOGRAPHY IN
       FRANKFURT - Glowlab founder Christina Ray will be leading a walk
       through Frankfurt in collaboration with Dutch group Social Fiction's
       Hot Summer of Psychogeography 2002.  "Generative Psychogeography is
       an open source concept which describes a method to explore the urban
       environment. It is as simple as this: stroll through the city on
       directions like 'first street left, second street right, first street
       right, repeat'. The simplicity of this route can be deceptive, it
       turns out that the route which you will take is difficult to predict
       for more than 3 turns (in an asymmetrical city that is). Add to this
       that by strolling like this you pass through the city in a way which
       is so thoroughly alien to the way you normally use the city that you
       find yourself confronted with the city in new light."  Date: Sunday,
       June 16th, 3 pm.  Meet at the Free Manifesta office, on the ground
       floor of the Frankfurter Kunstverein, at Römerberg near the Schirn
       Kunsthalle. Subway stop Römer. The walk will last one hour and finish
       up at a local bar for refreshments. You may want to bring a pen and
       paper and/or a camera to document the walk, which will take place
       rain or shine...
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/ray2.html

       Glowlab in collaboration with CrimethInc will also be distributing 68
       mysterious questions around Frankfurt:
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/crimthinc.html

       TUESDAY JUNE 18 - MANIFESTA 4 STATEMENTS: SAL RANDOLPH ON FREE
       MANIFESTA -  Meet at 3PM at the Free Manifesta Headquarters for some
       show and tell with Sal Randolph and various Free Manifesta artists.
        Refreshments.  Frankfurter Kunstverein.
       http://www.manifesta.de/calendar/index.html

       THURSDAY JUNE 20 - THE FREE MANIFESTA SHOW on Frankfurt's Radio X -
       As part of the Manifesta 4 SOUNDRACK, Free Manifesta will be making a
       special broadcast featuring live conversations with free manifesta
       artists and soundworks from Perry Bard & Les Leveque, Leif Inge,
       Krou, Peter Lasell, W. Mark Sutherland, Jeremy Owen Turner &  Janne
       Jussi Mikael Vanhanen and others.  101,4 Mhz | 12:00 - 13:00. (also
       streamed live from the Radio X website)
       http://www.manifesta.de/calendar/index.html http://www.radiox.de

       FRIDAY JUNE 21 THROUGH SUNDAY JUNE 23 - Janne Jussi Mikael Vanhanen
       (Finland) and Jeremy Owen Turner (Canada/England/Ladonia) will be
       personally installing their pocket sized digital-audio miniatures by
       traveling around the public and semi-private venues throughout the
       Frankfurt am Main downtown core and its environs using found audio
       amplification equipment (discman, stereo, PA system etc) to realize
       their pieces. Janne and Jeremy will be traveling around the Frankfurt
       am Main area as pedestrians/tourists. The exact venue changes every
       day and is decided spontaneously by Janne and Jeremy. The best way to
       experience this project is to connect with Janne and Jeremy in person
       via the Free Manifesta office.
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/turner.html

       JULY 1 - FRANKFURT BREATHING - FRANKFURT ATMET - Imagine, you were
       walking at night through the streets of Frankfurt and the buildings
       started to breath softly. "Frankfurt breathes" is the idea of a
       collective, large-scale happening, in which all inhabitants of
       Frankfurt can participate. At two nocturnal occasions (July 1st and
       August 1st) the sound of breathing can be projected at open windows
       into the public space. Passing pedestrians will perceive the
       breathing emerging from the surrounding buildings as if the
       architecture itself reflected the rhythm of life.  Recordings of
       Gloria Zein's breathing performance can be downloaded from the
       website, requested by email, or burned onto your own cd by appt at
       the Free Manifesta headquarters.  With the recording's reception you
       agree to play the sound at one of the event's dates (July 1st or
       August 1st) between 23:00h and 1:00h at open windows for it to be
       perceived in the public space.
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/zein.html

       DEADLINE FOR NEW PROJECTS IS JUNE 30, 2002
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/entry.html

       If you missed the LIFE STIMULATION SYSTEMS presentations this week,
       read about it at:
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/artists/eisnor.html

       HOW TO LOCATE FREE MANIFESTA

       FREE MANIFESTA HEADQUARTERS:  on the groundfloor of the Frankfurter
       Kunstverein, located near the Schirn Kunsthalle, just off the
       Römerberg.  Subway U4, U5 stop: Römer

       MAP & DIRECTIONS: http://www.freemanifesta.org/find.html

       ON THE WEB: http://www.freemanifesta.org

       CONTACT: info at freemanifesta.org

       OVER 150 ARTISTS SERVED- 100+ PROJECTS NOW ON OUR WEBSITE, MORE
       COMING EVERY DAY

       JOIN:  DEADLINE FOR NEW PROJECTS IS JUNE 30, 2002
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/entry.html

       CAN'T BE IN FRANKFURT?

       Pictures of the headquarters are now online at:
       http://www.freemanifesta.org/find.html

       And remember, most FREE MANIFESTA projects can be perceived and
       participated in from anywhere.

       SAL RANDOLPH AT DON'T MISS

       Sal Randolph's MAKE/TAKE, a participatory artwork at Saul Judd's
       DON'T MISS..

       exhibition 10.06. - 22.06.2002

       dontmiss is open wednesday to saturday  from 3 - 7.30pm - call for
       appt: tel.01743597840

       http://dont-miss.net

       eschersheimer landstrasse 61-63
       by marcarie, o looney, davikvok, funke and oberleitner architekten
       frankfurt am main 60329 tel.01743597840

       NEWS FROM OUR FRIENDS

       JOIN THE LONDON BIENNALE & HELP CREATE THE SECOND TIRANA BIENNALE:

       ----------------------------------
       THE LONDON BIENNALE
       ----------------------------------

       Dear Free Manifesta,
       Thank you for sending me the info about the wonderful FREE MANIFESTA.

       Congratulations! Meanwhile, I hope you will tell all artists
       participating
       in FREE MANIFESTA that they are  invited to participate in the
       marvellous
       LONDON BIENNALE 2002. You can forward to all of them this E mail. The
       LONDON
       BIENNALE 2002 is currently taking place in diffirent venues all over
       the
       English capital. It will end on August 31, 2002. It is open to all
       artists
       anywhere. To register in the LONDON BIENNALE each artist  must make
       an arrow
       of any  material and of any size. The artist must inscribe on the
       arrow the
       words LONDON BIENNALE 2002 and write his/her name beneath these
       words. The
       artist must have three photos of him//her self taken in front of the
       celebrated EROS statue at Piccadilly Circus in central London, and
       the three
       photos to be sent to me
           David Medalla,
           Director, LONDON BIENNALE,
           11 Naseby,
           Hanworth,
           Bracknell,
           Berkshire RH12 7HD,
           England, U.K.

       For artists who live away from London, they can make a photo-montage
       or
       collage or drawing inncorporating images of themselves and the EROS
       statue.
       There is no registration fee. Please send mail and other
       correspondence by
       ordinary post.

       LONDON BIENNALE artists meet every Sunday afternoon from 6 to 7 p.m.
       in Soho
       Square in central London. Nearest tube station is Tottenham Court
       Road on
       the Central and Northern lines. After 7 p.m. till 10 p.m.,  LONDON
       BIENNALE
       artists go to the ANGEL Pub next to St. Giles Church, behind the tall
       Centre
       Point building.

       French artist Cyril Lepetit is curating Sunday morning showings of
       films and
       videos by LONDON BIENNALE artists at the Curzon Cinema on Shaftesbury

       Avenue, central London.

       On Sunday, July 21, 2002, starting at 2 p.m., Trolley Bus (artist
       Bryan
       Mulvihill from Vancouver, Canada) will host a constellation of tea
       ceremonies in the beautiful gardens of the Horniman Museum at Forest
       Hill,
       South London. Artists are invited to participate and present their
       works at
       this exciting live event. E mail Trolley Bus at   teahouse at istar.ca

       The LONDON BIENNALE website is

       http://www.londonbiennale.org

       Keep me in touch with FREE MANIFESTA  events.  On behalf of all
       LONDON
       BIENNALE artists, I send you all my very best wishes!

       Yours,
            David Medalla,
            Founder & Director,
           LONDON BIENNALE

       ----------------------------------
       AND THE TIRANA BIENNALE
       ----------------------------------

       > Tirana Biennale - the Next Challenge
       >

       > Dear friends,
       >
       > The Tirana Biennale 1 was made possible thanks to an enthusiasm and
       energy that is without equal, and in spite of the stress and the
       conditions of absolute emergency. The logistic difficulties were
       brilliantly overruled by the spirit of cooperation between artists
       and curators, local organizers and international partners.

       > The Tirana Biennale 2 will follow the same path of dedication,
       involvement and research of interactions, becoming an even greater
       challange than the first biennale. The Board of the Tirana Biennale,
       represented by the new Director, Edi Muka, and Florian Agalliu,
       General Coordinator, the community of Albanian artists and the
       cultural institutions are commited to the continuation of the process
       of exchange and interaction that we started to explore in the First
       Tirana Biennale.

       > The First Tirana Biennale was a production of energy and will. It
       was not accomplished due to a clichè of cultural neocolonialist
       intervention in an emerging culture. It always represented a genuine
       part of the process of a real cultural dialogue, supported in every
       step through the network setup between the National Gallery of Arts,
       the City Hall, a wide number of local and international
       organizations, and also the external collaboration with Giancarlo
       Politi, Editor of Flash Art magazine, thrilled by the imense energy
       floating around in the city. It really was a great time of
       involvement and expression and we are happy to initiate the second
       step of this process.

       > The Coordination Office for the Tirana Biennale 2 is set up at the
       National Gallery of Arts in Tirana, where you can contact the
       Director of the Tirana Biennale 2, Edi Muka at: ediqnk at albmail.com,
       and starting from June 15th the Coordinator of the Biennale Florian
       Agalliu, at: fpilot80 at hotmail.com <mailto:fpilot80 at hotmail.com>
       (subject to a later definitive change). Our office shall set up
       operations within the month of July on two directions: the creation
       of a network of interested international artists, curators, and
       cultural insitutions; and the establishment of a funding network,
       from public to private foundations and enterprises. You will soon
       receive more detailed information as far as the communication process
       is concerned.

       > The Second Tirana Biennale, is scheduled to open in September 2003
       at the International Cultural Center, the so-called Pyramid, a
       thrilling marble pyramid, former mausoleum of the communist dictator
       Enver Hoxha, and the National Gallery of Arts, both venues within
       five leasure-walking minutes from each other.

       > The Second Tirana Biennale will set up THE NEW CHALLANGE, a process
       of common work initiated and supported by the city of Tirana,
       > ALBANIA, coordinated in Tirana, putting at work a wide range of
       layers of expertise.

       > Obviously without the support of Flash Art, this event requires the
       creation of a new network for communication, discussion and
       participation. The Tirana Biennale 2 is an international and open
       event. It will happen as a result of the process of cummunication
       that we are setting up today with you.