note 2 to Hypertext [part 2 of 5]

anna balint potemkin at freemail.hu
Sun Jul 14 20:47:53 CEST 2002

My problem with this part of your - fascinating - text

is apart from easy borrow the overdetermination concept of Althusser,
- the saecular mix of the Marx's and Freud's determination,  - it's reduction to 'political'
and the implantation of  Jameson's scepticism about the reconstruction of the social and historical
context on the web. Marxist hermeneutics...

After all, Richard Barbrook and Andy Cameron succeeded quite well -unlike plane marxists-,
they grabbed the utopian nature of the Californian Ideology, AND of the utopian marxism at
the same time.

Jameson's formalist essentialism, the limitation of praxis by structures implicates a scepticism
about expression itself, and underestimates individual creativity and gestures. I did not read in
any autobiography such a complaint "if i could record sound on this canvas, i could make a
much better picture".

Form as  expression of class struggle irresistbly reminds me of the terror of the context,
for example of the table at the entrance of the Conservatory in my home town: at the right side
of the door there were enumerated the progressive compositions of Bela Bartok, and the retrograde
ones were pined up at the left side. It was like a gate of danger, and if one could understand and pass
through it, could enter in the hall of knowledge.

greetings,
anna balint