[syndicate] best art project

Misko mpandil at soros.org.mk
Thu Jan 31 12:10:25 CET 2002

>Dear Melentie,

>Thanks for explanations. Yes, Macedonia is interesting, especially
>because its culture is developing in war situation. I appreciate very
> much your cultural efforts. I know how it is to work under blockade and
> war. More than your cultural work I appreciate your efforts to give
> truthful information about war situation in this list.

Well, I try to do my best in both cases. I like the word TRUTHFUL
information you have used, because I think that it is one of the keys
that will help resolve any situation, including the one we are facing.

>But as I have seen you didn't get much support here, and I am afraid
> of next spring offensive of ANA. It seams nobody cares for Orthodox churches exposed to
> terrorists attacks, civilian villagers too, but the WTC is mentioned
> still every day, the contemporary church of money and New World Order.

But Andrej, of course that the one who holds the world media is the one
who will be most heard. On domestic ground it is of course different,
you or I here different news and much more regarding our situations than
about WTC or Afghanistan.
As for the offensive In Macedonia at the moment hardly anyone believes
in a spring offensive.
The ski terrains in the western part of Macedonia are visted again, and
life is picking up.
Of course there are political leaders on both sides who are not looking
in favour of a peaceful solution, but at the moment they are not able to
stir up another war.

>Now 3,700 civilians are killed in Afghanistan as a revenge,  lets hope
>the mentioning of WTC devil's church vill stop now. But Macedonian
> people is a victim of the same terrorism, the difference is only that
> Macedonia is not in USA, and it will serve well for oil and gas
> pipeline from Caucasus. That is our unfortunate Balkanian destiny.
>Be glad that Soros is not taking care of you, but I think he is
> financing the pipelines.

Andrej, your comments have quite a few  layers. So I will touch only the
most important.
As first I think that the roles of George Soros as an investor and the
Open Society Institutes should be differentiated if we wish to come to
any realistic explanation of the situation. Otherwise we might confuse
everything.
The truth is that we are getting grants from the Open Society Institute
just as any grantee, after applying with projects, which is of course
much much less than while we were a program of OSI, but being a spin
-off much of our programs touch the open society platform.

As second G.S. himself has tried to distance himself from business in
the region of East Europe and the Balkans, precisely because of the existence
of the Foundations.
I have not heard any roumors about him being an investor of the
Pipelines which are yet to be built.
Finally, there has been much talk about the pipelines. But being fond of
truth I have to say taht IN REALITY there is only one built in Macedonia and it is the one going
from Thessaloniki to Skopje (actually they are building it the other way
around starting from Skopje and going to Thess.) The pipeline is
financed by Greece. There has also been an interest from the Yugoslav
government for the extension of the pipeline to Belgrade.

The second one you are refering to the one going from the Caucasus to
Europe is somehow lost in the clouds.

>My reaction on your info on voting was because you asked us to vote for you ;)

well, I did lobby but I also said that if you like d some other project
you could vote for it. :-)

Melentie