Direct Action <<>> Re: State Dept letter

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Wed Dec 25 19:43:48 CET 2002

I did insert some comments.
ivo

Send reply to:  	"JKraljic" <JKraljic at email.msn.com>
From:           	"JKraljic" <JKraljic at email.msn.com>
To:             	<ivo at reporters.net>, "Bogdan Denitch" <ttd at igc.org>
Subject:        	Re: Direct Action <<>> Re: State Dept letter
Date sent:      	Tue, 24 Dec 2002 06:39:52 -0500

Concerning citizenship, you can't just strip people of citizenship en
mass.  That will, quite honestly, create a bigger mess than one
has now.  How would one determine whether or not one "deserves"
to remain a Croatian citizen?  It raises alot of problems.  The issue
is not citizenship but electoral rights in Croatian elections by those
Croatian citizens residing in BH.

>>>That's correct. It is a messy issue. ANd one should
concentrate on having those people vote just in one location,
because it is unfair that they decide two governments, while for
example other ex-Yugoslavs have no such opportunity. And a
program should be worked out long term - over 5 years, maybe - on
chosing citizenship.

Concerning the issue of Cro interference in BH, my feeling is that
as long as YU has a special relationship with RS, there is no
reason Croatia cannot have the same type of relationship with BH
Croats.  Indeed, Dayton does not preclude such relationships.
Moreover, it is simply utopian to beleive that Croatia as well as
Serbia will not from time to time express their respective concerns
with respect to the status of their co-ethnic groups in a neighboring
state.  Ex-YU did not refrain from expressing its concerns with
respect to Slovenian ethnics living in Austria (and sometimes in
Italy) and never got raked over the coals for that by members of the
international community.  Why should Cro politicians refrain from
expressing such concerns (such as Tomac)?

>>>Dayton is an imperfect cease-fire agreement, excellent in
1995, lergely outdated today. BiH and Croatia do share a very long
border, and yes it is utopian to believe that Croatia and Serbia will
simply abandon their designs on Bosnia. But, then, agreements
like SAA are supposed to make such designs more socially
acceptable within the international framework. As for the parallel
with former Yugoslavia and Slovenian minority in Austria, it does
not fly well. After all, did Slovenian minority in Austria ever shelled
Graz or Klagenfurt with mortars? I think that if they did, and if
international community found out that they were armed and
supported by SFRY, Belgrade would be visited by JDAM-s much
earlier.

Even apart from the emotional, national connections, HR shares its
longest border with BH.  HR has vital, strategic interests related to
what happens in the state next door and cannot simply put down a
curtain and ignore issues related to, for example, catching all
indicted war criminals, respect for the constitutional rights of
Croats in BH, etc.  I think that this is necessary because the
international community does not really care what is going on in
BH as long as it is quiet and it is necessary to have a "squekey
wheel" to look over the shoulder of Ashdown.

>>>No. Croatia can't abandon caring about what happens in BiH.
But it should make steps to help BiH become more stable, more
democratic, more economically viable, more peaceful state - after
all that would be in Croatia's interest, to have BiH as a peer, and
not as a chaotic mess of ethnic hate, mafia run businesses, and
international military forces.

Indeed, despite Tomac's statements, Racan and President Mesic
have more or less ignored everything that's been going on in BH.
Despite Petrisch's imperial role, little came from HR which
criticized him, except at the very end of his term.  I am not calling
for a return to pre-2000 policies, but my sense is that this govt has
gone to the extreme opposite and more or less washed its hands
of the matter.  Tomac's statements are nothing more than window
dressing and have no substance.  Perhaps I'm missing something,
but there has been no interference on HR's part in the internal
workings of BH since 2000.

>>>I also got the same impression. But apparently - it was just
Mesic's statements that lead to widespread impression that
Croatia changed its course - while in reality Racan's actions did not
confirm that. Tomac was never my favorite politician - particularly
because everybody knows that he was an udba snitch for years.

I understand Bogdan's criticism regarding the visa regime.  But, I
think one  needs to distinguish between issues concerning
normalization between the two states and normalization when it
comes to person to person contact.  In my opinion, it is difficult to
argue that there is no normalization on a state level especially
when HR and YU just signed a free trade agreement earlier this
week and presumably (?!) settled the Prevlaka issue.  Croatian and
Yugoslav products have already been going across each state's
border with ease while, I believe as Ivo has told me, the border with
Lipovljani is a "normal" now as any other border crossing.  YU has
had an embassy in ZG and a consulate in RI for years.

>>>Yeah - Croatia and FRY have 'normalized' relations like US and
Mexico do: free trade agreement. But essentially there is a high
barbed wire fence between the US and Mexico, isn't it? I would
rather see relations between Croatia and FRY to be like between
Germany and France. Of course, I understand that it is expected
from Kostunica and Djindjic to do some more groveling and
repentance for that to happen.

It is undoubtedly a different issue when one keeps in mind person
to person relations - thus, I still find it difficult to beleive that there
will be any large number of Serb tourists coming to HR this
summer, with the possible exception of Dubrovnik.  But don't forget
- Milosevic was still in power a scant 2 years ago (that is, after the
2000 elections in HR) and the Great Serbian current remains more
than perceptibly strong in YU.

John Kraljic

>>>All the more reasons for the presently strongest republic in the
region to reach out to those forces in the neighboring countries that
would help her interests (first, of course, she would need to
recognize them....).

Ivo