[syndicate] The Consent of Murder

Ed Hoffman ed_hoffman at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 07:00:29 CET 2002

>The Consent of Murder (A Male pastime).
>
>We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere.
>And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow - Ted Bundy.

Kelleher & Kelleher (1998) argue that female serial killers are more
successful, careful, precise, methodical, and quiet in committing their
crimes.
http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/401/401lect11.htm

The female serial killer often remains unobserved, hidden in the background
and obscured by her male counterpart.
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ce4b/jack.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140243887/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/102-6339377-7125732?v=glance&s=books

While national crime rates have recently fallen, crimes committed by women
have risen 200 percent, yet we continue to transform female violence into
victimhood by citing PMS, battered wife syndrome, and postpartum depression
as sources of women's actions.
When She Was Bad convincingly overturns these perceptions by telling the
stories of such women as Karla Faye Tucker, who was recently executed for
having killed two people with a pickax; Dorothea Puente, who murdered
several elderly tenants in her boarding house; and Aileen Wuornos, a Florida
woman who shot seven men. Patricia Pearson marshals a vast amount of
research and statistical support from criminologists, anthropologists,
psychiatrists, and sociologists, and includes many revealing interviews with
dozens of men and women in the criminal justice system who have firsthand
experience with violent women. When She Was Bad is a fearless and superbly
written call to reframe our ideas about female violence and, by extension,
female power.