FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART 2002-03 & THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2003 !

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Fri Aug 2 01:08:37 CEST 2002

Franklin Furnace announces this year's recipients of the
FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART 2002-03 &
THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2003 !

This year Franklin Furnace received over 300 proposals from 25
countries.  Six artists were selected for the Franklin Furnace Fund for
Performance Art 2002-03 and three artist were selected for The Future of
the Present 2003 residency program.

THE FRANKLIN FURNACE FUND FOR PERFORMANCE ART 2002-03
Since 1985 Franklin Furnace has awarded the Fund for Performance art; this
year six performance artists will receive grants of $5000 each, allowing
them to produce major works anywhere in the State of New York.  The
Franklin Furnace Fund for Performance art is supported by Jerome Foundation
and the New York State Council on the Arts.

This year's FUNDWINNERS are: (full descriptions at
http://www.franklinfurnace.org)

Jess Dobkin  (Toronto, Canada)
Laure Drogoul  (Baltimore, Maryland)
Zlatko Koplijar  (Zagreb, Croatia)
Mendi Lewis Obadike  (Hamden, Connecticut)
James Scruggs  (Jersey City, New Jersey)
Alexander Viscio  (Vienna, Austria)

THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2003
Franklin Furnace provides three artists an honorarium of $5000 and a
residency facilitated by Franklin Furnace, for a 2-4 month duration at
Parsons School of Design and in collaboration with other online and
physical venues. In the past four years, The Future of the Present artists
have also presented with Eyebeam Atelier, DCTV, The Kitchen, Location One,
and Hunter College. During THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT 2003 we hope to
continue to expand the venues and technology available to our artists.

This year's THE FUTURE OF THE PRESENT artists are: (full descriptions at
http://www.franklinfurnace.org)
Brody Condon  (San Diego, California)
Ricardo Miranda Zuniga (Brooklyn, New York)
Mouchette (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Franklin Furnace has no curator; each year a new panel of artists reviews
all proposals. We believe that this peer panel system allows all kinds of
artists from all over the world an equal shot at presenting their work.
This year’s esteemed selection panel of artists, Natalie Bookchin, Zhang
Ga, Dor Green, Tracie Morris, and Pat Oleszko, met on May 20th, 21st and
22nd, 2002.