[syndicate] bweep bweep I'm an artist

info at furtherfield.org info at furtherfield.org
Wed Apr 17 22:31:06 CEST 2002

Hello John,

Good answers

> I appreciate your honest reply. It was well thought out and made a lot
> of good points. I agree with you that ascii art can be a legitimate form
> of self-expression. I too recall the days of BBSs, before the internet
> came along, and I truly enjoy ascii art. I was in no way trying to say
> that ascii art is not "legitimate" or to narrowly define the realm of
> art. I myself have used ascii to express points.

Kool - I might not of  fully realised the thread with this one (context).

It's just another color
> in the palette, says me. Honestly, mine was more a criticism of the news
> group as it pertains to disseminating news, information, discussion,
> etc...

So do you means newsgroups generally, or do you mean syndicate? The list,
again I might of missed earlier discussions on this point.

While I would never say that for one to add illustrative elements
> to a piece of written work is wrong, I do wonder if it isn't often being
> used as a means of distracting someone from the fact that in the actual
> payload of the text, there is often very little expressed. I may be
> misleading myself, perhaps when those people create these little web
> messages they are not trying to inform or create discussion but are
> rather making some other sort of statement.

I think the diversions themselves are coming from various intentions, some
well informed, some playful with a touch of quirkness, others just automatic
noise on the airwaves. I do not see that there are many deep and artistic
adventures happening in the ascii world, but one could same the same in art
generally, mainly due to many artists eager to explode their load rather
than learn  about life first.

This stuff is what it says - exactly what it says on the tin...

hold(POOP)my(POOP)bunion(POOP)ac0rn<>without<bweep>scorn)

nothing less nothing more. And when one compares it a serious art work, a
creative individual exploring larger issues, I can see that it shrivels into
pale insignificance, may be that's what it wants...so it tells me that just
like our text it is just here, our discussion of course is actively founded
on trying to relate and it itself is about defying communication for whoever
did this did not fancy it at the time and put in those terms. It's just fun
which of course I can presede you in saying that I know that you knew this
already...

I haven't got that
> completely sorted out. Most of what I'm seeing looks to be of the "It's
> confusing, it must be deep and artistic" variety, like this:
>
> ????<<<.o 0 0spiral.ling=double!helix mother//
>
> hold(POOP)my(POOP)bunion(POOP)ac0rn<>without<bweep>scorn)
>
> Which to me is just goofy. But, to those who are soft minded, this sort
> of thing is just intimidating enough to SEEM artsy. Enough.

To the ignorant, less aware it could seem artsy but the one's created it
know it isn't & we know, it's just a text based gesture..

> Also, when I said that I struggle to define art daily, I was speaking
> about defining what it is to me, in my art, what it means, etc. I am
> happy that art itself is so hard to define, but for me the act of
> defining is an end in itself in my own work... I tend to like to boil
> things down, to limit the amount of uneccessary or extraneous elements
> that would otherwise confuse whatever it is I'm trying to get at.

Yep - I agree...

I'm
> aware that that is a far cry from the prevalent scattershot approach.
> And of course, if art were truly untouchable, why bother? I contend that
> it is touchable, but that it cannot be held.

Art is untoachable - it us who are touchable, that's the whole point. That
it touches us, not us touch it - it abstract, fluid, an energy beyond
containment.

> On the subject of looking for "something new", I suppose my own view is
> defined somewhat by the expressionists, in that for something to be
> real, it must be experiential, conscious, deliberate, and that doing
> something automatic is the opposite.

This is obviously a few ways - and some among many. For me I come from a
place of viewing myself as the medium rather than the medium as a medium, I
am the communicator not the medium. This gives me the choice to explore my
work in different mediums which suit the idea on a lateral level. This
process is in no way from an intellectual stand point, it is more intuitive.
This offers a freedom for me, opening up different ways of seeing beyond the
idea itself, which does get exciting. So if I can explore an idea via a poem
i'll try that way, then i'll try it on music, then as a drawing, then as web
site, then as film, whatever works. In regard to your
philosophical/psychological directives which seem to be the foundation of
where your work comes from, I agree on this, yet I am very much a
Post-Jungian type. With the likes of James Hillman and Thomas Moore - who I
believe have moved psychology into the realm of real life, more social -
than doctorial. Therefore the work's heart is about liberation all the way,
that is its reason for existence, that's why I am here, to liberate myself
from social construction, as well others on the way, in whatever way. I am
keen to let people shine on their own terms for what they really are...

That which is automatic does not
> exist within "lived time". So I personally argue to continually reinvent
> ones views, methods, etc. because in that way, they can exist in real
> "lived time". That probably sounded pretentious, I hope you get where I
> was coming from. I have no problem revisiting old methods, or even doing
> things the way they have traditionally been done. It is when one does
> something by wrote that I start raising my eyebrows.

I think I get the gist here, you are saying that automation does not leave
space for learned re-evaluation. So when it is time to change, or to move on
them/it/he/her won't because they cannot by default. So subconsciously or
deliberately they rely on such methods as a place to hide away from external
questioning within their own field, or art...if this is true. Then they are
very human, scared like the next person about death, life and all that stuff
even though they do not agree to declare it because the scheme or theme of
their invented identities do not make room for such things.....mmm

Although I found mez to be very emotional about various things at times,
probably the most human of these artists/people/persona and very
communicative at times as well..I have also enjoyed some of the text that
mez has put out into the net as well. There is defiantely a conscious mind
working away there that is
informed/intellegent/political/compassionate...many are not any of these.

> I'm also of the school of thought that art is a justification in it's
> own right, and to make it subject to market forces is counter-intuitive
> to that end.

I have always been keen to exploit the strategies of market forces but I am
never keen for it to exploit me.

This is what I meant about "the work". I mean the physical,
> mental, psychological process of creation. The "work". Look at Lucian
> Freud, that man _works_.

Lucian Freud may work a lot but his work lacks compassion for humanity. Work
is no basis to justify quality, he works alright - but he's got loads of
money. He has a family that has earned billions via dissecting people's
minds, he has reaped the benefit of this and decided to pursue his career as
an artist without interuption. We, have to work to get money do art/buy
materials and all that stuff which as you know takes away a lot energy from
the creative thinking process. He has total institutional support becuase
his family background has geiven him an open gate to be accepted
immediately. To me - he's like the Queen. An institution..

I think in this culture of ease, people would
> like to "do art" but find that it is difficult. People want short-cuts.
> There are none, fortunately. Nature does not give anything away.

I dispute that I live in a culture of ease, which culture are your talking
about? The Neoliberalist culture, art culture, or country culture,
democratic culture? Would you prefer of culture dis-ease?

> Also, by "deliberation" I mean that we look for a sign that a decision
> was made; "Oh, I wonder why she used that color? Do you think he
> intended THAT?"... We look for evidence of human deliberation in art. As
> we do in nature. We look for the WHY just as surely as we acknowledge
> the IS. Form follows function.

I do understand what you mean, but it does seem to me that a less formal
approach is called for in judging what one experiences as creativity now,
intention is very much one way of viewing...plus appreciating what it is in
its own right first without one's own needs put on it. Art has been hijacked
by the culturalizing elite, saying that people should go to college before
one can call one's self an artist, within that arena a language imposed that
does not give the individual the chance to re-evaluate their own intentions
for creating art - so they could think that they making meaningful art, but
they going through the process of making meaningful perception - what they
think is art, what they have been informed is art.

thanx - marc