[syndicate] bweep bweep I'm an artist

john.m.kuykendall at mail.sprint.com john.m.kuykendall at mail.sprint.com
Wed Apr 17 21:38:13 CEST 2002

Hi Marc,

I appreciate your honest reply. It was well thought out and made a lot
of good points. I agree with you that ascii art can be a legitimate form
of self-expression. I too recall the days of BBSs, before the internet
came along, and I truly enjoy ascii art. I was in no way trying to say
that ascii art is not "legitimate" or to narrowly define the realm of
art. I myself have used ascii to express points. It's just another color
in the palette, says me. Honestly, mine was more a criticism of the news
group as it pertains to disseminating news, information, discussion,
etc... While I would never say that for one to add illustrative elements
to a piece of written work is wrong, I do wonder if it isn't often being
used as a means of distracting someone from the fact that in the actual
payload of the text, there is often very little expressed. I may be
misleading myself, perhaps when those people create these little web
messages they are not trying to inform or create discussion but are
rather making some other sort of statement. I haven't got that
completely sorted out. Most of what I'm seeing looks to be of the "It's
confusing, it must be deep and artistic" variety, like this:

????<<<.o 0 0spiral.ling=double!helix mother//

hold(POOP)my(POOP)bunion(POOP)ac0rn<>without<bweep>scorn)

Which to me is just goofy. But, to those who are soft minded, this sort
of thing is just intimidating enough to SEEM artsy. Enough.

Also, when I said that I struggle to define art daily, I was speaking
about defining what it is to me, in my art, what it means, etc. I am
happy that art itself is so hard to define, but for me the act of
defining is an end in itself in my own work... I tend to like to boil
things down, to limit the amount of uneccessary or extraneous elements
that would otherwise confuse whatever it is I'm trying to get at. I'm
aware that that is a far cry from the prevalent scattershot approach.
And of course, if art were truly untouchable, why bother? I contend that
it is touchable, but that it cannot be held.

On the subject of looking for "something new", I suppose my own view is
defined somewhat by the expressionists, in that for something to be
real, it must be experiential, conscious, deliberate, and that doing
something automatic is the opposite. That which is automatic does not
exist within "lived time". So I personally argue to continually reinvent
ones views, methods, etc. because in that way, they can exist in real
"lived time". That probably sounded pretentious, I hope you get where I
was coming from. I have no problem revisiting old methods, or even doing
things the way they have traditionally been done. It is when one does
something by wrote that I start raising my eyebrows.

Now this is hot potato, mainly because amny ascii artists are from
outside
the so called western world catchment of what is considered art worth
looking at. Which is of course very shameful and too typical of western
art
default situations. Many ascii artists were actively creating art which
promoted a clear message in the past with other mediums for creativity
but
it was ignored because they were not in the right country. So many have
moved out of being ignored by creating their own arena - a type
autononous
zone, where they create their own rules, diverting, instigating
confusion
via the shifting principle of agit-art. Art is no longer their goal, for
the
art arena institutionally has ignored too many creative individuals who
were
(brilliant), forward thinking, yet did not fit the criteria which is too
singular, too narrow with its definition.

I'm also of the school of thought that art is a justification in it's
own right, and to make it subject to market forces is counter-intuitive
to that end. This is what I meant about "the work". I mean the physical,
mental, psychological process of creation. The "work". Look at Lucian
Freud, that man _works_. I think in this culture of ease, people would
like to "do art" but find that it is difficult. People want short-cuts.
There are none, fortunately. Nature does not give anything away.

Also, by "deliberation" I mean that we look for a sign that a decision
was made; "Oh, I wonder why she used that color? Do you think he
intended THAT?"... We look for evidence of human deliberation in art. As
we do in nature. We look for the WHY just as surely as we acknowledge
the IS. Form follows function.

This letter probably seems overly defensive, but if you note the number
of points you made to which I did not respond, you will be looking at
the number of things that you said that I either agree to, or have
stored away to revisit later, for further consideration. I only made
metion of those things which I may not have made clear in my first post.

     Thanks for listening,

     J. Kuykendall