"From the Ashes", Cuando, New York

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Thu Sep 27 16:53:40 CEST 2001

Exhibition "From the Ashes" at Cuando , 1st St. betw. 2nd and 3rd Ave.
Oct 6th -Nov 6th
Cuando announces an art, performance and music exhibition to reflect on
tragedy of the destruction of the World Trade Center and the heroism and
sacrifice of so many firefighters, Police, rescue workers and ordinary
citizens. With the greatest respect for the many victims, their families,
and governmental agencies, Director Patricia Parker believes that artists
can contribute by expressing their feelings through works of art.
There will be over 80 artists and many performers participating in the
show. Several curators who will create galleries within the larger show
that will commemorate and explore the experiences that have seared our
consciousness.
Artist and curator, Frank Shifreen, has organized an exhibition called
"911", that will be a part of "From the Ashes" 9/11 was the day of the
attack and is also the call for emergency help. Help came so willingly from
rescuers to people in need during the collapse, and that saved many
thousands of lives, without regard for personal safety.
We still need help to release the grief, trauma and anger that we hold. We
also want to express the wonderful American spirit and solidarity that has
united us all since the tragedy. Frank Shifreen States "This show can be a
memorial to those lost in the tragedy at the WTC, Pentagon and Pennsylvania
and to our innocence, our sense that we in the U.S. had a protected status,
among the peoples of the world. Everyone in America has been affected by
the destructive power of ideology, over the sensibility of human feeling.
The power of art and of image to reach deeper into the psyche, beyond
rationalizations and dialectic, will be important in the future
transformation of ourselves and humankind."
Tentative list of artists for "911" include Tom Corn, Aki Kimoto, Carla
Cubit, Tom Klem, Stefan Eins, Danny Scheffer, Alan Rosner, Gilbert Flores,
Rafeal Salas, Bill Rabinowitz, Dr. Barnaby Ruhe, Willoughby Sharp, Franz
Vila, Francisco Henriquez Sims, Charles Foster Hall, Amy Shapiro, Scott
Pfaffman, Dov.
Some of the highlights of the exhibition include: electronic, technologic
and internet connections coordinated by Willoughby Sharp; a portrait
painting marathon coordinated by Dr. Ruhe and Frank Shifreen (All proceeds
to go to the victims , families and support services); Memorial, by Danny
Scheffer, a self-replicating and Rhizomatic art project to be placed in
neighborhoods and public places throughout the city.
IF ANY ARTISTS ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING- PLEASE CALL
FRANK SHIFREEN AT 212-473-5534 OR EMAIL fshifreen @mindspring.com