New B92 productions, Belgrade

clement Thomas - pavu.com ctgr at free.fr
Sun Sep 23 13:33:09 CEST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: for the syndicate
-----------------------------

New B92 productions, Belgrade

Coldcut in Belgrade

On September 20, Coldcut will play Belgrade's Barutana venue in
a special multimedia event presented by B92. The performance
forms part of the Pirate TV tour, which includes other musical
collectives such as Headspace, Innerfield and Rood Chakra plus
a total of five DJs and five VJs. On September 18 and 19, interactive video
and VJAMM software workshops will give the audience for the performance a
chance to help create the visual backdrop. So far, the tour has included
Ljubljana, Pula, Dubrovnik, Mostar and Banja Luka. It also forms part of the
campaign against the use of depleted uranium.
http://www.b92.net/=20

New film by Goran Markovic - "Serbia in the Year Zero"

The new film by Goran Markovic - "Serbia in the Year Zero" - was shown at
this year's Venice Festival as part of the "New Territories" festival program.
The film is co-produced by Paris-based "Les Films du Lendemain" and
Belgrade's B92.
Commenting in the festival programme, director Goran Markovic says:
"The most important questions left over from the Milosevic era are:
- Why did what happened to us happen?
- Where has the demon come from and how did he appear in our lives?
- Is one man to blame or are we all responsible?
"Serbia In the Year Zero" does not attempt to answer those questions.
It is content with becoming a kind of inventory of  the horrors unfolding

inside the heads of my compatriots, inside the heads of people close to me,
and, finally, inside my own head. In addition, this film-collage
attempts to table
the cases of dishonour I witnessed or heard about, without striving to draw
any conclusions from them. This chronicle of the disease that infected
us all,
whichsome people did not survive, does not explain anything. It does
however
serve one useful mission: it saves from oblivion the things we would
rather sweep
under the carpet."
Veran Matic, editor-in-chief of co-producer B92, says of the film: "Goran

Markovic's "Serbia in the Year Zero" is the first result of a thorough confrontation
with one's own life under Slobodan Milosevic. This is the work of a
director who
has constantly resisted the criminal regime while feeling guilty for
the wrongs
committed, who has publicly called for those guilty to be held
responsible
whilst feeling responsible himself, who has asked for forgiveness for
something he
personally did not commit but in fact simultaneously resisted. The dictator
has gone and we are now alone. Our identity that was built on the
resistance to
him has also disappeared. Now we have only the painful process whereby individuals
and society as a whole must confront the crimes. For the first time the
results of
the war are being tallied. Goran Markovic begins with himself, his
family and his
surroundings. After a retrospective of his films at various festivals,
and a
retrospective book, the director creates a retrospective of the last
fifteen years of
his life." [Conversation between Veran Matic & Goran Markovic]

Bernard-Henri Lévy on Serbia, Year Zero
Goran Markovic has been anti-Milosevic from the start. For fifteen
years, in Belgrade
and elsewhere, with startling eloquence or veiled reference, in his
films,
in his plays,in his life, Goran Markovic has never ceased expressing his
disgust at the
criminal political humiliation in which Milosevic and his wife brought
their country
to its knees.
He has said "no" to the war. He has denounced ethnic cleansing.
Powerless yet lucid,
he has born witness to what he calls "the total destruction of all we
were." Today, he
recounts that story. He examines his own past, retraces the footsteps of
the man he
once was, revisits his previous films, and he recounts that story. How
was Serbian
Fascism born?, he asks. Where did this demon come from? How did it
insinuate itself
in our minds, in our lives? And his reply: Milosevic is me; he is you;
he is all of us.
He couldn't have held on for ten long years, generating death with impunity
in the Balkans, without - like all Fascists - the implicit consent of
the Serbian
people or, one might even say, of most of Europe. Ironic and bitter
autobiography, cinema
tic essay, chronicle of that nightmare decade, juxtaposition of fact and
fiction, of real life
and dream life, shriek of anger, of unspeakable grief, this anguished
looking back, Serbia,
Year Zero is a political gesture as well as the work of a great artist.
I am pleased, and
proud, to have contributed to  this film. I am pleased to present it to
the public, along
with Zoran Tasic and Dimitri de Clercq, in Venice today. For the author
of
Bosna!, alas, this is not the epilogue; the struggle continues.

http://www.b92.net/doc/projects/markovic/