No subject

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 05:21:09 CEST 2001

-

o what we are doing is writing stories. this is what i was doing when it
happened: this is what i felt: this is what i heard
oo this is what i was doing when it happened: this is what i felt: this is
what i heard
ooo the stories begin, develop, end: the stories follow the traditional
logic of time extrapolated from human behavior: from the human construct
of the world until: one's death
oooo we tell the stories because we are in the midst of them and part of a
vast human communality and we tell these stories because they come to an
end and we understand how to make ends
ooooo here's where i am now after it happened: this is what i went
through: i am a witness to the world: i was there when it happened
oooooo what we are doing is speaking: we are writing truths and truths
oooooo what we are doing is making: we are writing fiction and comfort: we
are writing ourselves into existence: into existence after it happened
ooooo we rewind: here is what i made happen: this is what the world went
through: the world is a witness through my fiction: the world is here
oooo we make up stories to place us within a human communality that we
comment upon from within, without, from the periphery: we write these
stories because they have beginnings and they are fine beginnings and we
understand how to write: how to write the world
ooo the stories are forced into beginnings and endings: they follow the
traditional human meandering: the human continuity across what later might
be considered fictional events: what happened in the story:
oo this is the event i am making up: this is the plot of my story: this is
a good, a wonderful plot: this is quite original
oo.o you write as if you were there, as if you were part of it: as if you
were part of something
o what we are doing is telling truths: these events almost seem real: you
write so well, almost as if these things happened: you turn fiction into
truth

_