No subject

"araignée.royale" la_meduse at e8z.org
Tue Sep 11 20:23:56 CEST 2001

"Innocent people never deserve to die for their country or because of
their country.

"Yet, now the realities of airstrikes and mass destruction has
returned to the US. Newscasters, politicians and other shapers of
public opinion all chorus that none of them have ever seen such
things, yet many people around the world have this kind of
devastation in recent memory and in fact have suffered on a far
deeper and greater level. This is the one thing that has to be
remembered above all in this situation, that airstrikes and murder
are nothing new and that although all the victims before these have
been dehumanized in the US media, people around the world have been
suffering, often at the hands of the US military, for many years.

"We are quite sad that civilians are killed in incidents like this.
We have been sad for years. We've been mourning Chechens and
Palestinians massacred for resisting or just for existing, we've been
mourning the victims of wars around the world, of repression and
political displacement.

"The so-called terrorists, they surely must feel that they, their
people or compatriots have been victimized by the US, and it's
probably true. They probably have no hope at all that the US military
will stop doing this, in particular since it arrogantly and
inhumanely refuses to address many complaints about the plight of the
Palestinians and the US role in supporting their suffering. And for
these policy choices, who knows how many innocent american (and
probably other) people have just lost their lives, victims to US
foreign policy. (Perhaps also victims to a religious-fanatic reaction
against globalization.) The State will be calling for terrorist
blood, but it will continue to enact its murderous and socially
irresponsible policies without accepting moral responsibility for
their repercussions.

"The State acts with or without the consent of the people but it
cannot exist and act in such ways without the active consent of the
people or without their passive apathy. The American populace to a
large extent shares responsibility for the deaths of their
compatriots, as they share responsibility for all deaths carried out
by or in the interests of the US military. The americans en-masse
have given up their citizenship in the real sense of the word; they
act unconcerned about even the most alarming of political events,
except when it hits them at home. Then they act indignant when the
actions of their State has unwanted repercussions. But this is not
civic responsibility, this is not global citizenship. Such a thing
only starts to happen when people think about the consequences of the
State's actions as they would think about the consequence of their
own. That is, something real, something lived, something that has its
consequences and something that each person should take
responsibility for.

"... The question in the end is a very simple one: how many people
have to die before people act decisively to take power away from the
murderers? And how many people have to die before the americans
realize that they are people not at all different than they? Now the
americans may feel pain that they are losing "some of their own", but
as human beings, [we've] been losing too many of our own for too many
senseless reasons for years."

- Laure Akai