[ot] .

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Tue Oct 2 18:54:38 CEST 2001

Bernard, just one moment please. let me once again just think of Rhoda.

Rhoda:

I see nothing. We may sink and settle on the waves. The sea will drum in my
ears. The white petals will be darkened with sea water. They will float for
a moment and then sink. Rolling over the waves will shoulder me under.
Everything falls in a tremendous shower, dissolving me.

Bernard:

And now I ask, 'Who am I?' I have been talking of Bernard, Neville, Jinny,
Susan, Rhoda and Louis. Am I all of them? Am I one and distinct? I do not
know. We sat here together. But now Percival is dead, and Rhoda is dead; we
are divided; we are not here. Yet I cannot find any obstacle separating us.
There is no division between me and them. As I talked I felt, 'I am you.'
This difference we make so much of, this identity we so feverishly cherish,
was overcome.

yes, Bernard. Rhoda is dead.

Would you not say, that it was only one out of many ?

Sooner than I thought, I will become you.

Bernard:

Against you I will fling myself, unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!

yes, Bernard. A fight without Rhoda.