UNDERSTANDING THE BALKANS - THE BALKANS AND GLOBALISATION

Claudia Westermann media at ezaic.de
Tue Oct 16 16:02:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

I would be interested in a few things. Maybe it's possible to explain.

I have taken some passages out of this text.

http://www.scca.org.mk/utb/syn_pandilovski.htm
Melentie PANDILOVSKI (Macedonia) The Position of Culture in Southeast Europe
CURRENT SITUATION IN THE FIELD OF ARTS AND CULTURE IN THE REGION OF
SOUTHEAST EUROPE

[...]
The education policies have remained stiffened and unable to follow the
international standards.
[...]

what is the current educational situation ?
what about technology standards at universities ?
who is able to attend universities ?
what about females and education ? is there a difference to male education ?

[...]
As a specific of the artists in the region it is worth pointing out that
there is no functioning art market so that the establishing of conditions
for it (financial, infrastructure) would only be greeted.
[...]

maybe artists in the Balkan countries do not produce decoration ?
I somehow have the feeling that the art market is pretty much interested in
'decoration'. ( well, this might be a a little exaggerated, but I think
that decoration plays some role in it.) companies are not so much
interested in works that are offensively political. they are interested  in
works that also work as 'decor' for their buildings. and for most of the
private collectors it is the same. the art market I would say works pretty
much on a level of providing 'image'. so the artist finds him/herself in
the position of serving this need of 'image'. I do not think that this
should be the leading role of art. so I am not so sure if I would ask for
this. Arent't there different concepts ?

greetings
Claudia