ArtBase Update--bannster.net

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Tue Nov 6 12:15:42 CET 2001

11/6/01 9:25:22 AM, net_CALLBOY <play at ubermorgen.com> wrote:

>  this is a joke right?
>
>  so you are seriously saying you are not willing to
>  include our ubermorgen "work" into your database, if
>  yes, it would be really nice to get exact info why
>  it doesnt meet your SELECTION criteria;

It looks like a bad joke. As far as I understood from Alex Galloway,
two-three works out of ten meet the Rhizome Artbase selection criteria.
Not speaking only about outstanding works,
I got convinced during my archives practice that all trash - specially if many - gives
at least as valuable information about the culture of a period
as the prefered and selected works.  Pioneering makes no sense without
ground of common understanding. What I did instead of selection was
developing a structure of accessibility, a hierarchy and tools for navigation,
understanding and search. Still there is much more paper,
There is anyway a very strong social filter in the submissions themselves.
There is probably need of an European net.art base, it would be important
as a documentation stategy. There is already the Open
Meta Archives for photo, sound and video works of Thomax Kaulmann and  Frank Kunkel,
but it is probably time to develop a net.art base as well.
All what is needed is a server, tools for achiving the technology of the works as well,
and if I find a server...
greetings,
Anna Balint