[syndicate] Workshop GeoTales (locative media), 23-27 FEB 09, Brussels, iMAL

Yves Bernard yb at imal.org
Sat Jan 24 15:54:56 CET 2009

Workshop GeoTales (locative media), 23-27 FEB 09, Brussels, iMAL

Registration is open for our workshop on Locative Media:
GEOTALES, 23-27 FEB 2009, Brussels !
with Esther Polak (NL)

GeoTales proposes a 5 days unique and creative
experimentation workshop with mobile and location
based technologies (GPS: Global
PositioningSystem) under the direction of Esther
Polak (NL) and her assistant Tijmen Schep (NL) .
While reflecting upon available tools and their
influence on our world's perception, we will hit
the streets to dig up experiences of real-life
locative media use. From these experiments,
participants will develop concepts for locative
projects and make a start with hands on
development of tools: based on existing open
source GPS editing/tracking softwares or newly
developed from scratch.
The first day of GeoTales will be dedicated to
"best practices" in the field of locative media.
Simon Pope (UK), Daniel Belasco Rogers from Plan
B (UK/DE), Gwenola Wagon (FR) and Esther Polak
(NL) are invited to present their projects.

About Esther Polak
>http://www.estherpolak.nl
>http://www.beelddiktee.nl/
Esther is a visual artist working with locative
media. Using GPS technology to research on
contemporary landscape, her projects have been
showing internationally. She received a Golden
Nica at Ars Electronica, Linz (2005) for her
project MILK and was nominated for the Open Doors
Grant Prix, Amsterdam (2002).
She is also founder of the foundation Beelddiktee
supporting art and culture projects that include
research on mediation as an integral part of the
concept.
Teaching at the Rietveld Academy, Amsterdam, she
is especially good at giving conceptual feedback,
realistic project design and critical
brainstorming with programmers

Practical Info
Dates: from 23 to 27 February 2009 (5 days)
Fee: 100¤ (50¤ for participants from previous NewBraveWorld workshops)
Maximum Participants: 15
Location: iMAL, Center for Digital Cultures and
Technology, Brussels, http://www.imal.org

Detailled description and registration on :
http://www.imal.org/NewBraveWorld/NBW4/
More on NewBraveWorld masterclasses : http://www.imal.org/NewBraveWorld/
NewBraveWorld, A series of artistic and creative
workshops around Internet of Things, Ubicomp and
Locative Media

Yves Bernard    yb at imal.org
asbl iMAL vzw
Center for Digital Cultures and Technology
30 Quai des Charbonnages / Koolmijnenkaai 30
1080 Bruxelles/Brussel
tel 32 2 410 30 93

http://www.imal.org
http://www.erg.be/blogs/artNumeur