[syndicate] fwd: EXCEPTION, EXHIBITION attacked by violent nationalists IN BELGRADE

Andrej Tisma aart at EUnet.yu
Fri Feb 8 23:59:53 CET 2008

Dear Syndicate members, I really regret the events in Belgrade about the
show of young Albanian artists from Pristina. The show was really good. It
was previously held in Novi Sad, Serbia, the town where I am living and it
caused no problems at all. I reviewed that show in the main daily newspaper
Dnevnik - those who understand Serbian can read it here
http://www.dnevnik.co.yu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35423

The only thing that provoked reaction and violence in Belgrade, same as some
verbal protests by a group of Serb refugees from Kosovo in Novi Sad, was the
big poster of Adem Jashari at the show. He is presented in the Warholian
pop-art style, with Kalashnikov in his hand (opposite to the Presley's
portrait with gun). Of course that art work is an irony of making a Kosovo
famous warrior a pop-star. But ordinary people in Belgrade reacted to the
image of Jashari, in the same way people in Sarajevo could react to posters
of Ratko Mladic exhibited in an official art gallery. I am blaming those
people for not making difference between art and political poster, but in
the same time I can understand their reaction. In any case the show should
have been better protected by police, because such reactions were expected.

Also I do not agree with qualification in Marina's text who says it was a
"group of Serbian nationalist  forces" who attacked the gallery. There were
not any "forces" but a group of very young people from the patriotic,
nationalist "Obraz" organization, who were holding banners protesting
against exhibiting Adem Jashatri's image in Belgrade, who is still
considered in Serbia as former leader of UCK (Kosovo Liberation Army)
terrorist movement of Kosovo.

I hope the show will be held in Belgrade soon, with better measures of
protection, because the wounds of recent wars are still alive, irritated
recently by strong aim of Kosovo secession.

Best,
Andrej