[syndicate] Live - High On Fire + Get Hustle + Grey Daturas @ Bastard - Mon Sept 10th

50 EURO bonzo at signifikat.de
Sun Sep 9 17:14:21 CEST 2007

Mon Sept 10th @ Bastard

Live

High On Fire Oakland, California (Relapse Records)

http://www.myspace.com/highonfireslays
http://www.highonfire.net/

Get Hustle  Portland, Oregon

http://www.myspace.com/gethustle
http://www.gethustle.com/

Grey Daturas Melbourne, Australia

http://www.myspace.com/greydaturas
http://www.greydaturas.com/

Doors 21:00

Bastard
Kastanienallee 7-9,
Prenzlauer Berg
U-Bahn : Eberswalder Str (U2)

HIGH ON FIRE

With a heavy-handed approach and a sound that crashes like thunder,
HIGH ON FIRE has put the power back in 'power-trio'. Less a band than a
supersonic exercise in conquest by volume and sheer heaviness, the band
has burned the metal rulebook and forged a new archetype.

HIGH ON FIRE was formed by guitarist Matt Pike in late summer 1998.
Formed out of the need to simply play guitar again, Pike jammed with
and settled on a line-up of powerhouse drummer Des Kensel and longtime
guitarist friend George Rice, who made the switch to bass to round out
the trio.

They had scarcely been together for a few months before demo-ing three
songs. That demo, featuring 'Master of Fists' and instant classics
'10,000 Years' and 'Blood from Zion', became among the most
sought-after tapes in recent hard rock history. HIGH ON FIRE got
straight to the point, bashing away with a Neanderthal sense of purpose
and creating hypnotic, droning waves of powerful riffs and low-end
thunder of the likes not heard before.

Before the band had even made it's first live appearance, labels
flocked to get a piece of the trio. In the end the band chose to record
with the Mans Ruin label and the demo surfaced in the form of a mini-CD
in early '99, while they continued writing for their debut full-length.

That debut, The Art of Self Defense, was welcome respite from
commercialized rap-metal and warmed-over stoner-rock clichés of the
time. The Art of Self Defense served up a rock hard, unorthodox form of
modern metal cloaked in strange religious theology and the trio's style
was unique, distinct, and absolutely crushing.

Accolades poured in the world over: Rolling Stone, Spin, GQ,
Alternative Press, Magnet, Chicago Sun-Times, The Washington Post,
Village Voice and dozens of others publications. Almost overnight, HIGH
ON FIRE were the unassuming heroes of the riff and the most celebrated
metal band on the planet. On the waves of such massive exposure, HIGH
ON FIRE hit  the road. Europe was conquered with ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY
in tow and the U.S. was taken in two tours of duty.

Summer 2001 saw Man's Ruin close up shop, leaving the band with no
label and no distribution. Relapse offered, the trio accepted, and
found themselves a new home and new full-length effort titled
Surrounded By Thieves with gargantuan songs such as 'Hung, Drawn and
Quartered', 'Nemesis', and 'Razorhoof'. Rarely has metal been as
powerful and pure in its ability to translate primal fury and
aggression.

The now-legendary HIGH ON FIRE tour juggernaut celebrated with a
marathon North American Tour that saw them traverse the continent for
six consecutive months with the likes of MASTODON, SHADOWS FALL,
MOTORHEAD, SUPERJOINT RITUAL, and more, and a Japanese and European
headlining tours. The touring was capped by the band being named one of
Alternative Press Magazine's "25 Most Important Metal Bands".

In the summer of 2004, HIGH ON FIRE was joined by bassist Joe Preston
(THRONES / ex-MELVINS). Preston replaced Rice, and made his live debut
on a 14 city U.S. trek that concluded in Chicago, IL where the band
entered Electrical Audio Studios with engineer Steve Albini (NEUROSIS,
JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION, NIRVANA) to record Blessed Black Wings.

Blessed Black Wings exploded onto the scene. From the start the band
hit the road and traveled the world, playing esteemed festivals such as
All Tomorrows Party (at the request of The Mars Volta), Dour (Belgium),
Quart (Norway), Intonation (Chicago), Hellfest (France), as well as the
inaugural Sounds of the Underground Tour. Additionally, the band
headlined internationally with the likes of MASTODON, CLUTCH, GWAR, and
many more. Preston was replaced toward the end of the touring cycle by
former ZEKE bassist Jeff Matz.

Blessed Black Wings was named one of 2005's best releases by Kerrang!,
Revolver, Pitchfork, Rock Sound, Decibel and dozens of other
publications the world over. Additionally, Pike was named one of the 20
best guitarists by Rolling Stone Magazine.

In June 2006, after a long, intense writing process, HIGH ON FIRE
entered Seattle's Avast 2 and Soundhouse studios with legendary
producer Jack Endino (NIRVANA, SOUNDGARDEN) to record their
long-awaited new full-length, Death Is This Communion.

Death Is This Communion is High On Fire’s ultimate sonic masterpiece.
Matt Pike's unmistakable guitar playing and throaty war cry lead the
charge, while Des Kensel’s massive drumming takes on a new life and
pushes the beast onward more urgently than ever. From the rampaging
'Rumors of War' and 'Fury Whip', through the hypnotic riffs of
'Ethereal' and the album’s title track, Death Is This Communion is HIGH
ON FIRE's masterwork.

HIGH ON FIRE:

Matt Pike: Guitar, Vocals
Des Kensel: Drums
Jeff Matz: Bass

GET HUSTLE

To those who are unfamiliar with the Get Hustle,
The first time I saw the Get Hustle was in the French Quarter, New
Orleans, which was no accident. I was homesick and drifting around
outside this petite theater down on Bourbon Street, in a haze, and all
of a sudden I heard a reverberation that was so strange coming from the
stage inside. I went in to witness the Get Hustle and they stole my
heart. It was the most erotic and magnetic sound. At the same time it
was deeply spiritual and connected like angels flying across the desert
right into your soul, saving you and enslaving you. I was listening to
a lot of Sun Ra, Amon Duul II, The Birthday Party, Leadbelly, and
David Bowie at the time and it seems logical that whatever this sound
was would be in complete agreement with my tastes at the time. It was
truly a thrilling psychic event and there have been many with the Get
Hustle since.
Get Hustle will put you on your knees, turn you over and turn you out.
It is crime! I was taken… Mac Mann is a gentleman who plays the
electric piano making sounds that roll down octaves, scary, meaningful
unfolding chapters of emotional plot sung to you like a hymn by
Valentine Lovecraft Falcon, an angel, all the time the beat so primal,
so bloodthirsty is pounding in every direction never repeating but
maintaining the spell by Maxamillion Avila. I have been a child ever
since and they take care of me as such. Listen to their song
“Revolution Van� and you will understand what I mean.
Whenever the weary old life and the weary old music seems to be
hopeless there comes along an album so powerful and prosperous like the
Get Hustle’s newest “Rollin in the Ruins� on Three One G. The Get
Hustle has been in existence for 9 years and has consistently made
albums that amaze. Records including the "I've Got A Gun and I'm
Excited" 7" and "Now We're all Gone" 12" EP, both on GSL, the "Earth
Odyssey" LP on 5RC/Kill Rock Stars, the Gravity single "Who Do You
Love/ Mad Power" 7", and their Three One G debut 12" EP, "Dream
Eagle� there was a shift to pure creative genius with “Live at the
Little Fawn� a tour CD put out by the band themselves. The newest is
another album in that realm, even more brilliant “Rollin’ in the
Ruins� is a sacrifice for you friends, take the rose, thank Three One
G for putting out such an amazing release. Listen to the song “Don
Quixote and Me�, I can’t give musical references, but this song
will say more about this record than a million words. “Rollin’ in
the Ruins� is so intense, so explicit, and so ahead of it’s time, a
miraculous continuance of the chronicle that is Get Hustle.

Members:
Valentine Falcon
  Mac Mann (ex-Antioch Arrow)
  Maxamillion Avila (ex/member of-Antioch Arrow, Final Conflict, Holy
Molar, Chromatics, Magick Daggers)

Coming
  Up

Sept 20th - Psychic Ills + Yacht @ Westgermany

http://www.myspace.com/psychicills
http://www.myspace.com/yacht

Oct 10th - Radikal Satan + Mr Labrador + France Sauvage @ Westgermany

http://lespotagersnatures.free.fr/catalogue/disques/PoNa024.php
http://www.myspace.com/mrlabrador
http://www.myspace.com/francesauvage

Oct 18th - Animal Collective @ Festsaal Kreuzberg

http://www.myspace.com/animalcollectivetheband
http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/?page=news&artistID=236

Nov 1st - Numbers + Noisy Pig @ Westgermany

http://www.numbersmusic.com/
http://www.myspace.com/numbersmusic
http://www.myspace.com/noisypig

Nov 6th -Damon & Naomi @ Westgermany

http://www.damonandnaomi.com/
http://www.myspace.com/damonandnaomi

Nov 7th - Dirty Projectors @ Westgermany

http://www.myspace.com/dirtyprojectors
http://www.westernvinyl.com/dirty_projectors.htm

Nov 8th - The Ex + Apse @ Festsaal Kreuzberg

http://www.myspace.com/theexnl
http://www.theex.nl/
http://apsemusic.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/apse

Nov 15th - O'Death @ Westgermany

http://www.odeath.net/calendar/
http://www.myspace.com/odeath

Nov 24th - Black Mountain + Urlaub in Polen @ Festsaal Kreuzberg

http://www.myspace.com/blackmountain
http://www.thewaxmuseum.bc.ca/jwab/

Smooth friends. Drag queens. Yo life, your story.
Play 39317 at Yahoo! Music.

+
THE WHOLE WORLDS WORTH 50 EURO
http://myspace.com/spurmcguffin