AW: [syndicate] [Fwd: [HMKV] History will repeat itself, PHOENIX Halle Dortmund, Juni-September 2007]

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Sun May 27 18:23:50 CEST 2007

> if somebody could please explain to me where the recent re-enactement
> fad is coming from

academia

http://www.sca.unimelb.edu.au/research/student/list.lasso#

---
Name:
	Alina Hoyne

Course:
	PHD

Completion date:

Supervisers:
	Dr Peter Eckersall Dr Graham Jones

Project title:
	Reenactment Culture: Reviving the past through performance

Project summary:

This research investigates the problems of authentically performing the
past, through an analysis of reenactment both as a cultural phenomenon and
as a series of performances that aim to accurately recreate past events. In
conducting this research I have three express aims. Firstly, to present a
history of reenactment as a form of popular performance. Secondly, to
examine the key problems of performing the past in postmodern culture, with
particular focus on the emergent notion of authenticity or authentic
experience. Thirdly, to investigate my hypothesis that instead of simply
perpetuating a complacent nostalgia for the past, reenactments may have the
potential to prompt a critical re-evaluation of historical narratives.
Until recently, the notable exception of Richard Schechner (1985, 1995 and
2003) aside, there has been little written in the field of performance
studies about reenactments. In the last decade, however, there has been a
dramatic increase in the volume of work produced in the fields of visual
arts and performance studies on or about reenactment. Recently scholars
including Rebecca Schneider (2001 and forthcoming), Peggy Phelan (2005), Baz
Kershaw (1996, 1999), Mike Pearson and Michael Shanks (2001), have been
involved in a critical re-evaluation of reenactment.
This research will contribute to this re-evaluation while simultaneously
engaging with recent scholarship in the field of performance studies
regarding repetition (Phelan 2005; Schneider 2001), mediatisation (Auslander
1999; Birringer 1998) and disappearance (Diamond 1998; Schneider 2004 and
forthcoming) in performance
---

> what is the history of re-enactement, etc

Homer etc ?

It may be best to ask Alina Hoyne

> thank you

de rien

> f.

Besides of this I guess the compilation of works into an exhibition under
the umbrella of a (scientific, art historical) theme is mainly interesting
from and for an art historian's perspective,

and I am still debating with myself if to produce a presence of art history
through the vehicle of an exhibition is simply meant to sabotage art (just
in case one assumes that art exists as presence) .. etc

- c