AW: [syndicate] Trans.: [thingist] IAM SPEAKER SERIES: SarahRobbins, March 12, 2007

mez breeze netwurker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:29:39 CET 2007

On 3/9/07, Alan Sondheim <sondheim at panix.com> wrote:

> - you're not controlled by the software any more than you're controlled by
> a hammer, which is also produced, say, by Sears. It's dialogic; you do
> what you want within limits and vice versa. It's interesting that SL is as
> free as it is. I think far too much is made of control btw in general;
> almost anything can be used intelligently. As far as man-made goes, so is
> NYC where I live, and I'm controlled by the corporations running the
> subway system, but I go where I want. I think you're confusing these
> environments with panoptical phenomenologies, which don't necessarily
> hold.

hey alan,

 almost as relevant as protesting that living in "1st Life" is intolerable
due 2 it b.ing controlled by socio_n.stitutionalisation....
i find it n.teresting that this type of rationalisation is redundant due 2
it b.ing micro-hypocritical - do n.dividuals give up on living in cities due
2 their being "controlled" by m.plicit political
systems/tyrants/corporations [c]o[-opting]rdering them 2 breed, b educated,
marry, work, eat, participate in cultural activities, vote, llive? i
wonder...;)

> I understand this, and please understand that I am as curious as you are.
> > that's the good side of all this over-coverage of SL: my curiosity is
> > satisfied without me having to go there at all.
> >
> Just like people who want to understand, say, the Vietnamese - why bother
> looking/talking to them?

x.actly. such as sad_blank[et] view....a type of n.effectual protest based
on assumed, 2nd_hand, filtered, historicized knowledge. this position also
makes it possible 2 critique from a safe>defendable>fuzzy>lazy[albeit]
abstract position without having 2 x.tend urself via the x.periential.......
.

>  the worst crap I've experienced was that period on nettime - email
> lists are far more controlled and hierarchical than anything I've seen in
> SL.

agree...1 of the reasons y i've substantially reduced my participation on
lists in general...the illusion that mailing lists r open-end communication
spaces is just that, an a/i.llusion...
some r worse that others, but the majority of media_art_forums these days
seem 2 n.courage a type of sickening pseudo-intellectualism that i find
perpetuates the worst methods of rude, abusive behaviour masking as humor or
dialogue_ attempting.....hows that for m.plicit control[ling] paradigm?;)

As far as Dick goes, until I read a bit of the old anti-semitism there, I
> liked him. But the christology really got to me in the end; at this point
> I can't read any of it, prescient or not.
>
> - Alan, apologies for butting in here

thats just it, alan - u shouldn't *have* 2 apologize 4 participating on a
list "forum"...

chunks,
][mez][

--
...knottings.in.the.sm.all.of.my.cortical.b[h]ack:
:http://netwurker.livejournal.com