AW: [syndicate] Trans.: [thingist] IAM SPEAKER SERIES: SarahRobbins, March 12, 2007

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Mar 7 16:47:44 CET 2007

Well, people like Patrick Lichty and Ian Murray are online which is a
benefit. One thing that interests me is the sophistication of the software
- if I have a video running and I change position in relation to the
screen, the keystoning is perfect, i.e. no artifacts. I also shoot from
the screen (with PAL which is pretty clean) - it helps with my videowork
and experiments with motion-capture body materials. It's also interesting
- the extent to which offline desires, conversations, communication, etc.
can be projected into the space. And finally I think it's only a beginning
in a sense - sooner or later virtual life onscreen will be fairly complete
and usable for everything from teaching to real-time performance of all
sort - the coming of voice to SL is part of that. I don't like the
gimmicky nature of a lot of the things in the space, and I tend to remain
aloof from the real economy (I've spent $4 in real money and have used
about 50 cents of that so far), so I'm in an odd situation; I have no
desire to 'build' anything, just to work on the 'avatar body' and see what
sorts of modes I can use with it. That costs almost nothing, just
uploading files from time to time.

The software is also sophisticated in other ways - there are water
ripples, clouds move, etc. I'm curious how all of this is achieved with
what seems to be a relatively 'lean' profile - I have no idea.

I may turn my students loose in SL just to see what they come up with in
terms of cinematopgrahy, shooting from the screen or recording with the
built-in video software (which is crude and buggy). It reminds me of
Machinima that way without the gaming and side-effects.

- Alan

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, fmadre at free.fr wrote:

>> first, second life and myspace are entirely different in function and
>> phenomenology - and second, there are a lot of artists etc. in sl who
>> aren't the slightest bit inclined to newageism.
>
> no, of course, those not into newageism are into business culture
> sorry
>
>> video work is shown there at times and it gains new audience. and w/
>
> what do you get from this new audience alan ?
>
>> the bvh / mocap stuff i'm doing i get to explore dancework i couldn't
>> otherwise; sooner or later i hope to work w/ foofwa there. maybe.
>
> yes
> maybe

Work on YouTube, blog at http://nikuko.blogspot.com . Tel 718-813-3285.
Webpage directory http://www.asondheim.org . Email: sondheim at panix.com.
http://clc.as.wvu.edu:8080/clc/Members/sondheim for theory; also check
WVU Zwiki, Google for recent. Write for info on books, cds, performance,