AW: [syndicate] Trans.: [thingist] IAM SPEAKER SERIES: SarahRobbins, March 12, 2007

clemos cl3mos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:32:02 CET 2007

I guess I hate both SL and myspace just as much as I hate First Life
and its residents (realizing that they are actually the very same
persons!).

Then as I told you, I prefer to meet them on myspace (which I can
close) or on SL (which I can close) than in FL (which I cannot so
easily close)
It looks like jokes, but the problem with Virtual Reality and ie with
the "Friends" relationships as introduced by Myspace is that it looks
as if users were willingly looking for that kind of post-modern
relationship where there are no rules, and you can be "Friends"
without actually engaging yourself in a strong relation (which would
imply solidarity, mutual help, duty, sacrifices,...), where you can
"zap" between persons.
This example perversion of the "Friend" word in myspace really
frightens me, because the actual concept of friendship itself (even in
FL) is affected.
As always, there are exceptions and cool stuff going on in these
"worlds", but at a global scope, it's a big mass of network connected
mediocrity which in my opinion obviously tends to pervert FL (reality)
by perverting the nature of relationships between people by
multiplying illusion (and thus lie).

+++++
clemos