[syndicate] Guitar Pieces and Radio Couplings

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Aug 28 02:51:33 CEST 2007

Guitar Pieces and Radio Couplings

Thanks to Robert Withers, I now have a Martin Backpacker guitar, one of
the most ornery instruments ever I did play. It's impossible to hold, you
need straps, it sounds like a board with a terrific neck. Anyway here are
three pieces. I restrung it with nylon as usual before I broke my fingers
in two. First two pieces pretty much as is w/ echo and third w/ deliberate
filtering/mod.

http://www.asondheim.org/martin1.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/martin2.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/martin3mod.mp3

These are couplings between a 1972 USSR Signal radio set to low frequency
mode, and the loose coupling antique crystal radio. "hissred" is reduced
hiss. The third file is raw tuning; the other two indicate (I think) both
local oscillations and (possibly) other external signals.

http://www.asondheim.org/lowsigradio2.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/lowsigradio2hissred.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/lowfsignalradio.mp3