[syndicate] arousal

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Apr 19 07:01:36 CEST 2007

arousal

certain objects or items on a psychoanalytical scale create arousal; por-
nography operates off this principle. the objects or items are presumed
human, that is to say, projection/introjection (my 'jectivity') occurs
across the threshold of the space between viewer and image. if the items
are non-human, one presumes fetishism (with all the overdetermined accom-
panying psychoanalytic theory), but this need not be the case: given what
elsewhere might be considered dismemberment, but is read here as the dream
screen of the sexual, arousal occurs through a litany of movement and
geometry, nothing more. it's as if we're imprinted (and i think we are to
an extent), as if items appear which construct desire, reproduction,
species. the visual in these cases is a zeroing-in. avatrex.mp4 is an item
(not a human) which simultaneously projects and falls apart; what arouses
are mediated part-objects which seem capable in this respect of standing
alone, standing for, standing in-for. i think all of this relates to a
potential wellspring of violence; if all that's needed is surface, is the
rest of the body to be discarded? an uneasy question, troubling phenomen-
ology as well. http://www.asondheim.org/avartrex.mp4