[syndicate] the difference between war and cinema

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Apr 8 07:50:32 CEST 2007

The difference between war and cinema

What's happening always suffers

The music in this film makes me all excited. Then nothing happens, or
rather nothing happens as exciting as the music. It's not that the music
disappoints - how could exciting music disappoint? - but what happens is
really different, nothing one might call exciting, unless one - I - was
excited by what's happening. The excited music assumes either I'll be
excited by what's happening or won't be excited by what's happening but
then the excited music will make me excited about what's happening. I
can't be excited about anything that's happening without exciting music.
Sometimes there's music that wants to be excited, or something is happen-
ing that's exciting and I expect the music to be excited but it isn't
excited, and what's happening might suffer as a result. In general, what's
happening of course always suffers. Sometimes what's happening makes the
music excited as well and I find myself listening to the excited music as
what's happening excites me and then I might wonder, what is it about this
music that might have made me excited had it been excited, and why do I
find it exciting now if it's not excited? What's happening can make music
excited, and music I think can't be excited without something happening
that makes it so. But the music in this film doesn't make me all excited.

What's happening always suffers

The battle in this place makes me all distraught. Then nothing happens, or
rather nothing happens as disastrous as the battle. It's not that the
battle disappoints - how could disastrous battle disappoint? - but what
happens is really different, nothing one might call disastrous, unless
one - I - was distraught by what's happening. The distraught battle as-
sumes either I'll be distraught by what's happening or won't be distraught
by what's happening but then the distraught battle will make me distraught
about what's happening. I can't be distraught about anything that's hap-
pening without disastrous battle. Sometimes there's battle that wants to
be distraught, or something is happening that's disastrous and I expect
the battle to be distraught but it isn't distraught, and what's happening
might suffer as a result. In general, what's happening of course always
suffers. Sometimes what's happening makes the battle distraught as well
and I find myself listening to the distraught battle as what's happening
excites me and then I might wonder, what is it about this battle that
might have made me distraught had it been distraught, and why do I find it
disastrous now if it's not distraught? What's happening can make battle
distraught, and battle I think can't be distraught without something
happening that makes it so. But the battle in this place doesn't make me
all distraught.

The difference between war and cinema

5,24c5,22 < The battle in this place makes me all distraught. Then nothing
happens, or < rather nothing happens as disastrous as the battle. It's not
that the < battle disappoints - how could disastrous battle disappoint? -
but what < happens is really different, nothing one might call disastrous,
unless < one - I - was distraught by what's happening. The distraught
battle as- < sumes either I'll be distraught by what's happening or won't
be distraught < by what's happening but then the distraught battle will
make me distraught < about what's happening. I can't be distraught about
anything that's hap- < pening without disastrous battle. Sometimes there's
battle that wants to < be distraught, or something is happening that's
disastrous and I expect < the battle to be distraught but it isn't
distraught, and what's happening < might suffer as a result. In general,
what's happening of course always < suffers. Sometimes what's happening
makes the battle distraught as well < and I find myself listening to the
distraught battle as what's happening < excites me and then I might
wonder, what is it about this battle that < might have made me distraught
had it been distraught, and why do I find it < disastrous now if it's not
distraught? What's happening can make battle < distraught, and battle I
think can't be distraught without something < happening that makes it so.
But the battle in this place doesn't make me < all distraught.

---