[syndicate] THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS of Baudelaire's Poe

jeff harrison worksonpaper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 22:59:56 CEST 2006

HISTOIRES EXTRAORDINAIRES

in The Shepherds and Delectable Mountains, the Shepherds are captured by Giant Despair who at last did put out their eyes: one by one the Shepherds beheld a large force of years without days rising, indistinguishable from the first moonless sky. Giant Despair then led the Shepherds among the tombs, where he has left them to remain in the congregation of the dead.

*

NOUVELLES HISTOIRES EXTRAORDINAIRES

at the Interpreter's House, the Interpreter bids a damsel, named Innocent, to bring garments for Christina and Mercy. Innocent brings white raiments. When the women were thus adorned, they were a terror one to the other; they could not see the glory each one on herself, which they could see in each other. Suppose, Mercy suggested, we meet here every year and compare notes; would there no end to years! Personifications, else impersonate, of the human extending, whimsically (terrifying, this decision to whimsy!), to the impersonal; these were the raiments, the years were these also.

*

AVENTURES D'ARTHUR GORDON PYM

Gaius, of Gaius Welcomes the Pilgrims, relates that of Christian's progenitors there was Ignatius, who was cast to the lions; Romanus, whose flesh was cut in pieces from his bones; and Polycarp, that played the man in the fire. Death, Polycarp related after the performance, is entering a pitch-black room and remembering what the room is like. This spoke Polycarp in the dream of Gaius. Counted, and without speech, as Ignatius and Romanus, with Polycarp was he hanged up in a basket for the wasps to eat, and he whom the damned put into a sack and cast him into the sea to be drowned.

*

EUREKA

the occupants of House Beautiful showed Christian the engines with which some of the Lord's servants had done wonderful things. They showed him the hammer and nail with which Jael slew Sisera, the pitchers, trumpets, and lamps too, with which Gideon put to flight the armies of Midian. Then they showed him the ox's goad wherewith Shamgar slew six hundred men. This inventory may be said another way, with complete assailants and arms, I say only this one; when my heart is bleeding as

*

HISTOIRES GROTESQUES ET SÉRIEUSES

a heart who would bleed to death, I know only this one. Shall it be my lot to go that way again, I may give those that desire it an account of what I here am silent about.