[syndicate] \\

James Allan james at teleportacia.org
Mon Oct 30 19:55:40 CET 2006

fmadre at free.fr said:
> I've been on my feet for ages now and I'm still not dead
> anyone has been on their knees ? I would like to benefit from your
> experience
> and perhaps we can prove or disprove that phrase

Being on your knees is typically associated with hand weeding difficult
vegetables like asparagus and radishes. This occasionally leads to
stiffness in the joints, especially if you’ve got sports injuries from the
old days. In my experience weeding rarely leads to death so I think
Patrick is quite possibly prejudiced against gardeners or, at the very
least, gardening and I think that's a shame.

On the other hand, he might be referring to a preferred style of
execution. If that's the case I don't have any direct experience but
Edison made a couple of short films on the subject and he might just be
able to help. Here’s a selection of people dying:

a) on their knees
b) standing up
c) a combination of the two

a) The execution of Mary, Queen of Scots
http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/edmp/4036.mov
(http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?papr:1:./temp/~ammem_2Kk5::)

b) Shooting captured insurgents
http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/sawmp/0049.mov
(http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?papr:3:./temp/~ammem_jTOM::)

c)The great train robbery
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?papr:7:./temp/~ammem_3N42::

Or, if you'd rather be in the position of the 'executioner' there's always
Annie Oakley.
http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/edmp/4030.mov
(http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?papr:2:./temp/~ammem_3N42::)