[syndicate] Re: <nettime> Gender and You (fwd) - may be of interest (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Oct 7 22:55:30 CEST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 16:51:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim at panix.com>
To: Kali Tal <kali at kalital.com>
Cc: nettime management system <nettime-l at bbs.thing.net>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Gender and You

I feel once again I have to respond to this. First of all, I don't masquerade
or cruise for sex; everyone knows (except on the Jennifer newsgroup - which
lasted maybe two days) that these are fictitious creations. I don't disguise
myself and never have and have no interest in doing that and for the most part
find disguising unethical. Second, it's hardly true that I've just come to
issues of violence; if you knew
my work in general that would be the last thing you'd say. Most of my activisim
is obviously off-line. Third, I resent the essentialism you represent here; if
you turn it on its head - how do you know what I feel or why I'm doing it,
since you're not male? It's easy to throw the terms sexism around and since
Nikuko is Japanese, that also obviously implies racism (in spite of the fact
that Japaenese write into Americans write into Japanese etc.).

What you seem to not understand, is I'm not switching genders - as far as
writing about this, I have essays (published in a feminist magazine but what
the hell) on the inconceivability of this going back at least to the 80s. If
you want to find my work sexist, that's fine - well not fine - at least base it
on what I'm doing, not what you want to believe I'm doing. The material on
drag, for me, is besides the point; it's hardly drag performance. What it _is_
is an opportunity to write through Heideggerian issues I'm interested in,
without bringing along, on the surface, the male baggage that characterizes the
analysis of such issues. Furthermore, most of the material in the essay is
based on net sex, in which identities, as I try to point out, are mostly
transparent.

I'm might add, even the opening sentence: "As a woman writing as a woman" is
problematic - as a Jew, am I writing as a Jew? As a Jew, what would it mean not
write not as a Jew? As an atheist? As a Christian? These roles seem strangling
to me - and the _are_ roles - there is no "a woman" any more than "a male" or
"a Jew."

Ok, you say "If white, heterosexual men want to know what it's like to be a
women, ASK US. We'll tell you. We've been telling you for hundreds of years"..
This is all well and good but does it give a male the experience of being
attacked online? When a student (I teach on occasion) logs into IRC as a woman
and sees and feels what's happening (no, not like "a woman" but like someone
who may be sensitive to attack that can get close to verbal rape), he (or she
for that matter) learns a lot more than asking you - you in particular - what
"it's like" - since what it's like for you implies this essentialism - which
online experience doesn't.

Re: "Identity tourism" - if you've read my work, and you seem to imply that you
have, you'd realize this is hardly the case. I'm not cruising. If you object
to, say, Jennifer, you might was well object to any male writing fiction which
includes any woman, or vice versa, since we can't get into each other's skin.

You say "that a man can inhabit female characters for as long as Alan has" -
indicates in fact you haven't read much of my work - those characters - except
for this and one other recent text - haven't appeared in quite a few years. At
this point I write through myself. So again you're wrong here. You say "after
years of this adventuring" - and then claim you're following my work. If you
were, you'd realize the stuff I've done for the past several years has been in
an entirely different direction; you'd also know I killed them off, both male
and female (Alan and Travis were two others, as well as the male Doctor Leopold
Konninger), years ago.

What I really object to is not only a misreading of what I've been doing, but
also what I see as a PC way of thinking - the essentialism is so deep that to
experience anything outside oneself, one has to ask the Other directly. So I
can't write as a Republican (goodbye Steve Colbert) or as a Christian or
non-Jew, I can't write as animal, etc.

And yes, the sexuality was bad-girl-bad-boy, which I think is at the basis of a
lot of our cultural sexualism as well as violence. And as for asking - I knew
Kathy Acker well for example and we talked about this stuff. And I shouldn't
have to show "credentials" here which is besides the point.

You say things like ""analyses" in peacetime is again a reflection of his
white, heterosexual, male "location."" - but you, again, don't know who the
hell I am - you know nothing about me. Should I call you a white middle-class
woman whose writing reflects that? How the hell should I know?

Then again - "for Alan is based only on the fact that NOW he notices the
violence, when before he didn't." - How on earth do you know when I've noticed
anything? You haven't even read my work for years, and misread it when you did
read it? And how dare you tell me when I notice such-and- such - you have no
idea. This is essentialism at its worst - as if you have a privilege in regard
to my own positions on things, and you sure as hell don't.

Finally, and apologies for the rambling nature of this, terms such as
"blackface" are so overloaded and disgusting - there's no way to combat this.
It's Lyotard's differend - I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I don't expect everyone to like what I do - I do find support for my work with
both men and women (the latter presumeably not talking "as a woman")
- and I find a lot of people are uncomfortable with it. That is as it should be
- the work is about war, violence, and the bedrock of those aspects of western
culture which produce Britney Spears and Iraq, as well as occasionally healthy
sexuality. My work for the past 4-5 years has been performance; the texts are
put online. There's no gender playing but a lot of analysis. So it goes.

I find Kali's post, in other words, as distasteful - and violent -as she finds
mine.

- Alan

blog at http://nikuko.blogspot.com - for URLs, DVDs, CDs, books/etc. see
http://www.asondheim.org/advert.txt - contact sondheim at panix.com, -