[syndicate] Furthernoise issue November 2006.

info info at furtherfield.org
Sun Nov 12 16:16:16 CET 2006

Welcome to the November issue of Furthernoise.

http://www.furthernoise.org

As always we are flagging up and critiquing a host of great new releases
as well as featuring Ultra-Red & Various Artists ENCUENTRO: Day of
Dialogue For Militant Sound Investigations and the Net Audio 06 Festival
in London.

We have also extended the call for our planned Freesound net release
Appropriate Re-Appropriations so check out the submissions guidelines
for full details.

I hope you enjoy this new issue and we welcome all feedback, comments
and proposals.

Furthernoise issue November 2006
http://www.furthernoise.org/index.php?iss=58

"Netaudio London Festival" (feature)
Netaudio '06 was the London instalment of the Netaudio festivals,
following Netaudio '05 in Berne and Netaudio V2.05 in Cologne, and
spanned two days (15-16th September). The London Netaudio festival was /
is a chance for netaudio activists, academics and musicians to get
together and explore netaudio, both through performance and discussions.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=141
feature by Alex Young

"Ambienti Tribali" (review)
Deconstructed and reconstituted ethnic and/or tribal rhythms merge with
contemporary electronics, a smattering of acoustic instruments, assorted
laptop, glitch and breakbeat percolations and a variety of synthesized
melodic fragments to form nine tracks of frenetic energy that, according
to the artist, conveys “Extreme exploitation of technology reveals the
weakness of ‘the new tribal individual' which, in this environment, lets
itself lash out, upset, excite and inebriate.”
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=145
review by Bill Binkelman

"Astra" (review)
It takes some time to find a pleasant listening volume and space for
this release. 16 short tracks all packed with very very high frequencies
make headphone and 'loud' loudspeaker listening tiring and occasionally
unpleasant. Tiny computer speakers suit this kind of sound allowing the
music to crackle and pulse as if emanating from a very sick hard drive.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=143
review by Mark McLaren

"Distortion is Truth - Rober Poss" (review)
Named after the fact that the original line-up had three "Susans" in the
band, Robert Poss was one of the others, that weren't called Susan.
After numerous line-up changes the bands core members revolved around
Poss and Susan Stenger.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=138
review by Mark Francombe

"Halal Kebab Hut - High Brow Low Art Music" (review)
High Brow Low Art Music, released on Earth Monkey Productions by
London-based Halal Kebab Hut, is a collection of seven pieces created by
several performers using diverse instruments, according to structures
defined by Simon Katan. Halal Kebab Hut has an open door membership
policy, and has been together in some form since 2004.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=140
review by Alex Young

"LushRush" (review)
It has been over a year since Midori Hirano released her debut ep Poet
At The Piano and it has certainly been too long for many here at
Furthernoise. As a taster the ep was a delicious entre to to a greater
piece of work and her new debut album Lush Rush will undoubtdley
dissapoint few.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=137
review by Roger Mills

"Tracings - Tim Reed" (review)
On first listen to this work I was drawn to how the orchestration
segway's from one section to the next by a swell in velocity which ends
abruptly to pass the composition onto a new phase. Each of these phases
are born of a single tone either from high pitched violin or sine wave
before building to the next cresendo drop.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=144
review by Roger Mills

"Ultra-Red" (review)
A new 'album' from Ultra-Red that pushes the boundaries of what online
releases can do. 5 hours of discussion, reverie and speculation that may
just change the way you think about sound, art and life.
http://www.furthernoise.org/page.php?ID=142
review by Mark McLaren

Roger Mills
Editor, Furthernoise.