[syndicate] Buildin' for Gordon

beate zurwehme beate at zurwehme.org
Sat Nov 11 23:04:17 CET 2006

The Bastard Art Gallery is your prime source for bootleg, mash-up and
remix art.

  Today, on 11 nov 2006 there will be a large "extra (SIC)" event at the
abandoned Extra City Artspace in the Antwerp Harbour, hosted by Factor
44.
  You can find more information on the Factor 44 website.

Michèle Matyn is a young artist who contacted the Bastard Art Gallery
in order to get hold of some earth to build a sand structure.
  The request was hauled in with great enthousiasm, and our featured
artist engaged in a never seen before stint of diggin'. No less than 20
40kg bags and 50 30kg bags have been dug up in the past two weeks,
that's over 2000 kgs!
  The bags have all been transported in several rides with a van to the
exhibition space. The sand structure will grow like a network
throughout the space. Small hills are growing from holes in the floor
as if some underground creature was doing excavation work underneath.
Every spot is marked and registered.
  The structure reminds of Gordon Matta-Clark's excavation fascination.
  As the installation of heaps grows from every hole in the floor of the
vast space, one interfers with another. At several places the sand
structures even arise in the midst of other works.
  Get some reports and installation shots at the Bastard Art Gallery
website

<<http://www.bastard-art-gallery.com>>

extra (SIC) - 11 & 12 november 2006
  at: Mexicostraat, Kattendijkdok Kaai 44, 2030 Antwerpen.
  11 november 2006 doors open 19.00 hrs.
  12 november 2006 exhibition from 14.00 -> 18.00 hrs.
extra sucky -11 november 2006 - bands @ 21.00 hrs.

  Our main focus at the Bastard Art Gallery is "Diggin' for Gordon". On
20 feb 2006 the digging of a hole started at an unknown location. It is
a tribute to Gordon Matta-Clark who made his last monumental work
"Office Baroque" in Antwerp in 1978. The hole is 130 x 130 cm and cuts
through the basement floor of a brick building, the earth is shoveled
into buckets and hauled up by use of a pulley. At first the earth was
dumped at a container park, then some of it was distributed in the
performance "13 Galleries and only One DDV in town" and recently it is
used to fill up "James Lee Byars' Tomb". The diggin' action is visible
24 hours a day through a webcam. To enlighten the action "Dan Flavin is
descending steps into Hell" by a row of slant placed fluorescent
lights. Since 16 september 2006 our featured artist is checking the
obituaries in the newspaper to see if On Kawara is still alive. The
newspaper pages with the obituaries are pasted onto a memorial slab and
pictures thereof are posted onto a weblog.

  The Bastard Art Gallery provides you with full access to the "Diggin'
for Gordon" webcam still images, movies and sound from our website. We
also offer previously unreleased documentation on all related projects
and full covering of the events happening in the near future.

  For more information on our projects, events, text and info please
check our website at the url below or contact Holly at the Bastard Art
Gallery.

http://zurwehme.org/
http://www.myspace.com/beatezurwehme
http://genderfashion.spreadshirt.net