nettime unstable digest book

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:31:17 CET 2006

nettime unstable digest, vol 1-90
archive of the Nettime unstable digest, a weekly anthology of codework
collected by Florian Cramer, Alan Sondheim & others

root at digest:/# unstable
zsh: command not found: unstable

root at digest:/# man unstable
No manual entry for unstable

root at digest:/# apropos unstable
unstable: nothing appropriate.

root at digest:/# ls unstable
ls: unstable: No such file or directory

root at digest:/# which unstable
unstable not found

root at digest:/# killall unstable
unstable: no process killed

root at digest:/# su unstable
Unknown id: unstable

root at digest:/# ifconfig unstable
unstable: error fetching interface information: Device not found

root at digest:/# ping unstable
ping: unknown host unstable

root at digest:/# ssh unstable
ssh: unstable: Name or service not known

root at digest:/# mount unstable
mount: can't find unstable in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

root at digest:/# modprobe unstable
FATAL: Module unstable not found.

root at digest:/# whois unstable
No whois server is known for this kind of object.

                                                       Alan Sondhem

Introduction and Removal

OR:

Unstable Digest: unstable - on and off again, from here and there
digest - essence or summarization, culled from numerous sources

u&d < removed >

nstable igest book

what are the sources? numerous email lists, emails, newsgroups,
the effluvia of online and offline communication.

igests. Instea, I propose to jst incligests. Instea
, I propose to jst incligests. Instea, I propose to j

what happens to the sources? they're modified or not, they're decoded or
encoded, their partially coded, they're used or not used, with permission
and without permission.

igests. Instea, I propose to j

are the sources open sources? they may be treated as open sources,
they may be modified or unmodified, they're something-or-other,
this-or-that, most often ASCII texts, let's say for the purposes
of this that they're texts -

, I propose to j
igests. Instea
n: man No manal entry apropos al entry apropos

what do you propose? that the texts are interesting, that they fascinate or
seem relevant to writing or reading or speaking or
performing or living any number of ways, and what we propose then
is to take these texts, that we've found, or that have been sent
to us, or that we've culled, or for that matter, that we've written,
and assemble them in a single post.

root at igest:/# zsh: commanroot@
igest:/# zsh: comman not fo
igest:/# zsh: comman
 not fo
 not fo

what is the name of the post? the name of the post is the Unstable
Digest, ultimately assembled by Florian Cramer, literally assembed
programmatically through a series of perl scripts which automate the
assembly process.

 Unknown i: ifconfig error fetching interface information: Device ping ping:

what is really the content of these posts? why should they be of interest
to anyone? they're dealing with the real grit - the dirtiness of abstract
code, of writing, the clay of the cuneiform - they're dealing with codework,
 messy code and its interaction with 'surface' texts (neither code nor text
are surface), they're presenting lists, grids, graphs, knots, conundrums,
they're fully 'readable' in the traditional sense, they appear close to
illegible perhaps or totally unreadable, they're so simple a child could
write them, they're so difficult, no one could write them, the same with
reading.

nt: can't fin in /etc/fstab /etc/mtab

and? I live in wonder, I want to be able to say, 'this is fantastic,' to
have this response - whether or not I know the details, inner workings,
luminous contents of the works, whether or not I know the writer/creator,
whether or not I know, in fact whether the creator is a program/machine or
a human sitting at hir typewriter in an unheated loft -

probe FATAL: Mole fomo
probe FATAL: Mo
le fomoprobe FATAL: Mo

probe FATAL: Mo
mo

probe FATAL: Mo

- and perhaps to think to myself, I mean, this sentence is dragging, I want
to be able to consider or release myself, to a future of writing which is
not necessarily interactive, but which is always inscriptive, inscribing,
as in cuneiform - a future of writing of (perhaps) a dying species, or a
species reborn -

, also forewor intro may take ifferent forms in-form meta-text req

- and perhaps I want to be able to recuperate such works at this point,
since time is evanescent, machines and programs and technologies are
evanescent, so this is a kind of scribbling, by something or other, of or
within this moment -

 intro may take ifferent forms in-form meta-text reqnre, n
erstan, also forewor, also forewor
ifferent forms in-form meta-text req
erstan
ifferent forms in-form meta-text reqest with zippe attachment of all erstan
 attachment of all igests:
, also forewor
igests:
 intro may take est with zippe attachment of all est with zippe

and the beginning and ending of the Unstable Digest? just as you've seen,
it happened, it was a happening, began slowly ended slowly, if in fact it
has ended at all -

 an occasional events particnce an
 occasional events particnce an occasional events partic

 an occasional events partic
nannonce
 occasional events partic
 an
nce annce
 occasional events particlar list - so that this is
 occasional events particlar list - so that this is

- although I am not sure there will always be letters, characters; that
there will always be readers, that there will always be this or these
species on this or any planet, that this might not be anything more than a
paean to extinction -

- nonetheless a celebration -

OR:

Alan
Sondhem
Introduction and Removal Unstable Digest: unstable on
- off
from
again, here
there
digest essence or
summarization,
culled
numerous sources
u&d < removed

nstable igest book
what are
the
sources?
email lists,
emails,
newsgroups,
effluvia of online offline communication.
igests. Instea, I propose to jst incligests. Instea
, j
happens they're modified not,
decoded encoded,
partially
their coded,
used
not
used, with permission without permission.
open be
they as
may sources,
treated unmodified, something-or-other,
this-or-that, often
most ASCII
texts,
let's
say
for
purposes
this that texts n: man
No
manal
entry
apropos
al
do you propose? interesting, fascinate relevant
seem writing
reading speaking performing number
living ways,
any we then
is take found,
these we've been
sent
have us, culled, matter, written,
assemble them in a single post.
root at igest:/# zsh: commanroot@
igest:/# comman fo

name post? post Digest, ultimately assembled by Florian Cramer, literally
assembed
programmatically through series
perl
which
scripts automate
assembly process.
Unknown ifconfig
i: error
fetching
interface
information:
Device
ping
pingUnknown
ping:
really why
content posts? interest
should anyone? real
dealing grit abstract
dirtiness code, clay
writing, cuneiform codework, code
messy its
interaction 'surface'
(neither
nor text surface),
presenting
grids,
graphs, knots, conundrums, fully
'readable' traditional sense, appear illegible
close perhaps
totally
unreadable,
so
simple
child could difficult,
write no
them, one
same reading.
nt: can't fin /etc/fstab /etc/mtab
and? live wonder, 'this
want fantastic,'
able say, response whether know details, inner workings, luminous works,
contents writer/creator, know, fact program/machine
creator human hir
sitting typewriter
at an
unheated
loft probe FATAL: Mole fomo
Mo
le fomoprobe mo
think sentence
myself, dragging,
mean, consider future
release necessarily but
interactive, always inscriptive, inscribing, (perhaps) dying species,
species reborn also forewor intro ifferent
meta-text
forms req
in-form recuperate such works point, since time evanescent,
machines programs
technologies
kind other,
scribbling, something within moment reqnre,
nintro
erstan, forewor, erstan
reqest zippe
attachment all
igests:attachment
est beginning ending just
Digest? you've seen, it began
happened, slowly
was slowly,
happening, ended if has occasional events particnce
particpartic
nannonce
nce annce
particlar list although am sure letters,
will characters; readers, planet, more
might anything than paean extinction nonetheless celebration

Amusingly, this was the result of my first attempt of replying to your
request with a zipped attachment of all unstable digests:

Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2005 um 00:29:10 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Mail Delivery
System:

>   noemata at kunst.no
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
>     host mail.kunst.no [80.232.36.38]: 550 This message contains malware
{Exploit.IFrame.Gen}

> ------ This is a copy of the message's headers. ------

http://noemata.net/nudes
http://noemata.anart.no/nudes

isbn-10 82-92428-44-5
isbn-13 978-82-92428-44-3

net.books supported by arts council norway