Nomenclature of Opuntia Cactus Spines

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Feb 3 02:22:31 CET 2006

  Nomenclature of Opuntia Cactus Spines

  I have been enumerating the spines of my opuntia, which are in the
  thousands. It seems far too difficult to name them individually; however,
  they might well be grouped by tens, hundreds, even thousands. Such
  groups are families, for example the kynn family, kgerrard family, and so
  forth. I am delighted with the results. Whereas spines previously were
  associated only with a particular pad, now they are placed within smaller
  communal organizations of both friendship and cameraderie.

  For a long time, I worked on the various family names; the following are
  the results. Please note there may be repetitions; consider this one of
  the follies of the time, the difficulty to track anything at all (given
  the relative explosion of information, to which the spines themselves are
  immune). Enjoy -

  10 ggold
  20 crystal
  30 cbpp