[syndicate] The Nathaniel Hawthorne of Edgar Rice Burroughs

jeff harrison worksonpaper03 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 23:35:55 CET 2006

THE ESCAPE OF THE DEAD

I lay facing the opening of the cave and where I could see the short stretch of trail which lay between the cave and the turn of the cliff around which the trail led. The noise of the approaching
horses had ceased, and I judged the Indians were creeping stealthily upon me along the little ledge which led to my living tomb. I remember

The proper is not in the slightest degree pretty

a third and fourth and fifth

dandelions gone to seed.

My longing was beyond the power of opposition; I closed my eyes, stretched out my arms toward

a walk through the woods, yesterday afternoon, to Mr. Emerson's, with a book which Margaret Fuller had left behind her,

drawn with the suddenness of thought through the trackless immensity of space. There was an instant of extreme cold and utter darkness.

*

MY ADVENT ON MARS

I knew that I was on Mars; not once did I question either my sanity or my wakefulness. I was not asleep, no need for pinching here;

spending life and the intensest labor in the accomplishment of some mechanical trifle, -- as in making a miniature coach to be drawn by fleas, or a dinner-service to be put into a cherry-stone.

a low, walled enclosure about four feet in height... as the wall was but about four feet high I cautiously gained my feet and peered over the top

I visited my grape vine, this afternoon, and ate the last of its clusters. This vine climbs around a young maple tree, which has now assumed the yellow leaf.

the soft and soundless moss, which covers practically the entire surface of Mars with the exception of the frozen areas at the poles and the scattered cultivated districts

only a few evergreens

a few words

*

A PRISONER

at about the age of one thousand years, they go voluntarily upon their last strange pilgrimage down the river Iss, which leads no living Martian knows whither and from whose bosom no Martian has ever returned, or would be allowed to live did he return after once embarking upon its cold, dark waters.

To have ice in one's blood.

Only about one Martian in a thousand dies of sickness or disease, and possibly about twenty take the voluntary pilgrimage. The other nine hundred and seventy-nine die violent deaths in duels, in
hunting, in aviation and in war; but perhaps by far the greatest death loss comes during the age of childhood, when vast numbers of the little Martians fall victims to the great white apes of Mars.

A show of wax-figures, consisting almost wholly of murderers and their victims, -- Gibbs and Wansley, the pirates, and the Dutch girl whom Gibbs murdered. Gibbs and Wansley were admirably done, as natural as life; and many people who had known Gibbs would not, according to the showman, be convinced that this wax-figure was not his skin stuffed.

The assembled warriors and chieftains examined me closely, feeling my muscles and the texture of my skin.

*

I LEARN THE LANGUAGE

The hyena was the most ugly and dangerous looking beast, full of spite, and on ill terms with all nature -- looking a good deal like a hog with the devil in him.

a strange idea of Leigh Hunt

"The syrup of my bosom," a part of an improvisation of Una's, addressed to an imaginary child.

arn

th

A fairy tale about chasing Echo to her hiding-place. Echo is the voice of a reflection in a mirror.

Cannon transformed to church-bells.

anguag

in this dismal chamber FAME was won.