[syndicate] The Aubrey Beardsley of Samuel Richardson

jeff harrison worksonpaper03 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 00:02:22 CET 2006

LETTER I

Dear Father and Mother,

I have great trouble, and some comfort, to acquaint you with. The trouble is, that my good lady died of the illness I mentioned to you, and left us all much grieved for the loss of her; for she was a dear good lady, and kind to all us her servants. Much I

Some of the women had put on delightful little moustaches dyed in purples and bright greens, twisted and waxed with absolute skill; and some wore great white beards after the manner of Saint Wilgeforte.

whose graciousness to us we have so often experienced at a pinch, put it into my good lady's heart, on her death-bed, just an hour before she expired,

Thank you for your letter. We have pudding every day. The drilling master every Thursday. I like the lessons very much. We drill on a lawn. We have a dog named Fido, he comes out with us every day. I like the walks very much. I am quite well.

I send them by John, our footman, who goes your way: but he does not know what he carries;
because I seal them up in one of the little pill-boxes,

Miss Wise reads out of a book about French and English ships.

But I am making another long letter: So will only add to it, that I shall ever be

Your dutiful daughter,

Pamela Andrews.

*

LETTER II

moths so richly winged they must have banqueted upon tapestries and royal stuffs

vowed that the wild rose should stay where it had clung -- a passport, as it were, from the upper to the underworld

vowed that the wild rose should stay where it had clung -- a passport, as it were, from the upper to the underworld

moths so richly winged they must have banqueted upon tapestries and royal stuffs

one

*

LETTER III

Dear Father,

I must needs say, your letter has filled me with trouble, for it has made my heart, which was overflowing with gratitude for my master's goodness, suspicious and fearful:

He left the room on pointed feet;
Smiling that things had gone so well.
They hanged him in Meridian Street.
You pray in vain for Carrousel.

But that which gives me most trouble is, that you se

Put the Goethe with my other books.

m to mistrust the honesty of your child. No, my dear father and

Initials S and V just sent off.

Our John so often goes your way, that I will always get him to call, that you may hear from me, either by writing, (for it brings my hand in,) or by word of mouth.

*

LETTER IV

vowed that the wild rose should stay where it had clung -- a passport, as it were, from the upper to the underworld

ar Moth

vowed that the wild rose should stay where it had clung -- a passport, as it were, from the upper to the underworld

r,

For th

vowed that the wild rose should stay where it had clung -- a passport, as it were, from the upper to the underworld

last

we can see manywhere a devotion to hazard fully as meek as theirs.

Pray make use of the money. You may now do it safely.

*

LETTER V

My Dea

vexatious about the Voltaire

Fathe

vexatious about the Voltaire

and Mothe

vexatious about the Voltaire

Your ever dutiful daughter.

*

LETTER VI

Dear Fa

moths so richly winged they must have banqueted upon tapestries and royal stuffs

er and Mo

moths so richly winged they must have banqueted upon tapestries and royal stuffs

er,

My mas

and the eyes of all the moths remained open, and were burning and bursting with a mesh of veins

er

*

LETTER VII

Dear Father,

Since my last, my master gave me more fine things. He called me up to my late lady's closet, and, pulling out her drawers, he gave me two suits of fine Flanders laced headclothes, three pair of fine silk shoes, two hardly the worse, and just fit for me, (for my lady had a very little foot,) and the other with wrought silver buckles in them; and several ribands and top-knots of all colours; four pair of white fine cotton stockings, and three pair of fine silk ones; and two pair of rich stays. I was quite astonished, and unable to speak for a while; but yet I was inwardly ashamed to take the stockings

a perfect understanding giving to scraps of phrases their full meaning, and to the merest reference, a point.

I believe I received them very awkwardly; for he smiled at my awkwardness, and said, Don't blush,
Pamela

Naturally, Tannhauser, the newcomer, was discussed a little. Venus had not seen him yet, and asked a score of questions on her account that were delightfully to the point.

Dost think I don't know pretty maids should wear shoes and stockings?

of the crowd of frocks that gathered round and pelted him with roses, of the graceful way he defended himself with his mask,

So I will conclude, all that happens is for our good; and God bless you, my dear father and mother; and I know you constantly pray for a blessing upon me; who am, and shall always be,

Your dutiful Daughter.