[syndicate] 19th-century harmonica solos

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Dec 5 20:11:05 CET 2006

19th-century harmonica solos

Recently I purchsed a M.Hohner echo (tremolo) harmonica which dates from
1885 or so. This is the earliest harmonica I've seen. Below are three
files; the first, slow; the second, faster, and the third derived from
the second by stretching the pitch 300%. The instrument is fascinating; it
has a slightly different timbre than modern harps, as well as an unusual
soundhole arrangement on the cover. I cleaned the interior with rubbing
alcohol, and used toothpaste, alcohol, furniture polish, water, and walnut
oil on the exterior which is slightly rusted. (Here I go with blindness
and diptheria; breathing in rubbing alcohol fumes is an experience that
should be missed.)

I've been working with harmonica because it's highly portable and can be
used anywhere. The chromatic is surprisingly difficult to play; the echo
is fairly easy, but difficult to make interesting. In any case, enjoy -

http://www.asondheim.org/hohner1.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/hohner2.mp3
http://www.asondheim.org/hohner2bass.mp3