[syndicate] The Salem Witches of Simone Weil

jeff harrison worksonpaper03 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 00:44:03 CEST 2006

THE ILIAD, POEM OF MIGHT

once under ash, Sarah Buckley borrowed
her alarms from those under ink
but to be under (even once), to be under ash

*

INTIMATIONS OF CHRISTIANITY
AMONG THE ANCIENT GREEKS

it is a fact that Bridget Bishop was born in 1634
but to be Bridget Bishop, to be born

it's known Bishop was accused of witchcraft
by more individuals than any other witchcraft defendant
but to be accused, to be accused of witchcraft

Bishop was described as wearing a black cap,
a black hat, & a red paragon bodice bordered
& ribboned with different colors
but to be described, to wear a black cap

when Bishop was arrested in 1692, she
was no stranger to the courthouse, having
been previously charged (& cleared) in 1680
but to see the year 1692, to be no stranger

*

THE THINGS OF THE WORLD

with (as in akin only) the rivers,
you'll never grey, Hannah Carrell
but to be with, to be with as in akin only

*

THE FATHER'S SILENCE

"Sir, I never complied with Satan but pray
against him all my days. What would you have me do?"
but to never comply, to pray against Satan

Sarah Good would scold & curse
neighbors unresponsive
to her requests for charity
but to scold, to scold & curse neighbors

"If you take away my life God will give
you blood to drink," Good told Minister Noyes,
who later died of internal hemorrhage,
bleeding profusely at the mouth
but to take away my life, to be given blood to drink

*

LETTER TO GEORGES BERNANOS

know the lead is dust, then know
the gold is Mary English's dropped footprints,
as a stitch is dropped, where she was to walk
but to know the lead, to know the lead is dust

*

WAITING FOR GOD

saith that wee did Judg then that thay both diead
of a malignant fever and has no suspiction of wichcraft
of aney nether Can wee acues the prisner at the bar
but to judge then, to judge of two deaths

Rebecca Nurse was buried in a grave light enough
that some body parts were exposed.
but to be buried, to be buried yet exposed

on July 3, 1692, Reverend Noyes had Nurse
brought from her prison cell to the church, where
she was excommunicated in front of the congregation
but to live that July, on the third of that July

Ann Putnam testified 13 ghosts (9 of children)
came to her in their winding sheets & cried for justice
of being murdered by Rebecca Nurse
but to be a vengeful child, to be in a winding sheet