[syndicate] Shakespeare Sonnets of Francois Mauriac

jeff harrison worksonpaper03 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 01:20:07 CEST 2006

THERESE DESQUEYROUX

in sonnet 28, night & day conspire
to rob me, w/ my mouth of bones,
from repose --- O hours!, of murk or
of glint, w/out repose exposed I'm to
who'd rend me, wild w/ quick eyes! ---
thus I try to gain their good will

1. by telling the day you, Virginia,
are bright in imitation of him

2. by telling the night you, Virginia,
illuminate the night sky when hid are stars

but
day   |   continues to bring me grief

& ni
ght   |   regularly accentuates my grief

*

A WOMAN OF THE PHARISEES

Virginia, if nothing new is possible,
it's futile labor, in sonnet 59, to
create novelty - a labor like luxuriant
sorrow in slow roam. the trumpet sips
at gusts! at the image, would it were true!,
shown me w/in an antique tome, then
I'd see whether we or the ancients excelled
at describing you, or whether change has come.

Oh, sure I am the wits of former days
To subjects worse have given admiring praise.

*

A KNOT OF VIPERS

constancy is a great adornment of beauty,
opines sonnet 54. fullness of constant, the
hill's generous shoulder. roses are the more
admired for their scent (a harper at the gates),
a,n,d, although the scentless wild rose may
be colorful with the cultivated rose, its beauty ends
with death - animated only thru music's schemes.
scented roses are distilled into lasting perfume.
the hill, nondescript outside photography,
is distilled into "the / hill's generous shoulder"

*

A KISS FOR THE LEPER

sonnet 50: travel is a labor --
luxuriant sorrow in slow roam.

my steps grow blood the gardens of Pluto envy.

my spur cannot provoke my horse onward the faster
my spur can only provoke his groan, more sharp to me
than spurring to his side; his groan provokes to my mind
my grief lies onward and my joys behind.

*

GENETRIX

sonnet 64 observes
lofty towers unbuilt, yet here