[syndicate] Private companies own human gene patents

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Sun Oct 23 16:08:50 CEST 2005

was unaware that obviously isolating something (identification of a
part) makes something patentable
just because it cannot exist in nature in this isolated form

(I think that I remember that when the Human Genome Project started
people were saying it was not possible to patent the findings of
identification .. ? )

?

-c

see:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/patents.shtml

In general, raw products of nature are not patentable. DNA products
usually          become patentable when they have been isolated,
purified, or modified to produce a unique form not found in nature.