Jonathan and Marjoram

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Nov 28 18:52:32 CET 2005

Jonathan and Marjoram

Jonathan was driving, Marjoram (yes, that's her real name), was in the
passenger seat. They were traveling through the port of Los Angeles. They were
would-be terrorists. "Take a left here," Marjoram said. "We don't have much
farther to go." The refineries were close by. Jonathan reached over, signaled
left. http://www.asondheim.org/takingleft.mov He didn't want any trouble.

Marjoram was having second doubts. She replayed, over and over again, her
childhood dream, walking down a wooden pier of some sort, looking left and
right into the water. http://www.asondheim.org/takingstraight.mov There were
beautiful sea-creatures, kelp, algal mats, of all sorts; the water was alive.
'Perhaps the world is, as it is meant to be,' she thought. 'Perhaps we're
making an error.' She dreamed herself into a better life, waiting and walking,
there on the pier, happy children, innocent and unaware, running just ahead.