[syndicate] \\

Aliette Guibert guibertc at criticalsecret.com
Thu Nov 17 10:55:47 CET 2005

Just a note from my part, I did not quote Manovich because he could be one
of my references (that is not).

I quoted him on the question of the sense of the historical modern
avant-garde regarding technics/society still running in his theory,
specially regarding the importance he gives to datas as a new symbolic
creativ arts and communications. And fortunatly he had just published on
nettime-l the email I have forwarded here, that gave me the opportunity to
quote him in actual here.

I said that he is relevant in this field of the question or avant-garde or
not avant-gardes (which situation is running nowadays), and by his way the
answer is obviously yes, in which it is the object of his theory to say that
datas are new and different (it is to overpass both in the same time from a
part Mac Luhan on communication and from the other part a certain
structuralism at Chomsky prior works -as language); a modern avant-garde
always rpesents a technic as a way of colelctive progress and overpass other
modernity (so the former modernity becomes a tradition - said Habermas (but
I do not agree this mechanic vision of history of thecnics-).

It is not the question of "spectacle" it is the question of structure linked
to political economy in all dialectical materialism and materialistic
history (even liberal and neo-liberal which rsees the unvisible hand of God
in random:)

At least for my part anyway, I think that digit hacking as works yes it is
creativ and art. But that is not all the whole digit art. And of the
question of the avant-garde I think it was closed while humans can see that
technical and social progress have destroyed the ecology of the planet. So
right now the question of technics it is not in that one of progress but of
the adaptation. There is not one way but multiple ways front of this.
Materialist avant-garde to advance humanity in one collective progress it
was universal but it is over. And new technologies as airport and more
cellular phone and so on they get growing the problems of the health.

That's all -oh my- folks!