YOSHIKO CHUMA & THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

Yukihiko Yoshida yukihiko at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Tue May 31 16:01:05 CEST 2005

Hello from TOKYO,

Here is performance information at NYC.

Warmest Regards,

Yukihiko YOSHIDA

the note from yoshiko chuma for next performance

Dear Friends,
 Next week, I am presenting the performance for 7dancers and 7trorn
 born musicians

 YOSHIKO CHUMA & THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS
 in
 River to River Festival/ Sites Unseen: Art on the Beach Revisited

 performs a new work:

 7 X 7 X 7 X 7 X 7

 Date: JUNE 2, 3, 2005

 Event begins at 7:30pm
 School of Hard Knocks performs at 8:20 pm
 Our location is near the Harbor front of Winter Garden of World
 Financial Center , at the end of Liberty st.

 Conceived and Directed by Yoshiko Chuma
 Created in collaboration with the choreographers

 Performed by
 Yoshiko Chuma, Donald Fleming, Irving Gregory,

 Sally Gross, Motoko Ikeda, Anthony Phillips, Sarah Skaggs

 Music composed by Christopher McIntyre
 7 x 7 Trombone Band: Joe Fiedler, Jacob Garchik, Richard Marriot,

 Chris McIntyre, Josh Roseman. Steve Swell, Peter Zummo

 Cube Design By Ralph Lee
 Lighting consultant: Pat Dignan
 Costume consultant: Gabriel Berry
 Company manager: Bonnie Stein
 stage manager :Kryssy Wright
 schedule coordinator:Isabella Bruno

 Battery Park City's esplanade comes alive in this homage to Art on
 the Beach, the landmark series conceived and presented by Creative
 Time from 1978 to 1988 when Battery Park City was just landfill.
 Starting at Rockefeller Park, visitors will take a

 90-minute journey from one site-specific performance to the next.

 Yoshiko Chuma has created a new work for the event, with School of
 Hard Knocks performers including 7 dancers and 7 trombonists and
 7-foot cubes. School of Hard Knocks performance location is directly
 outside of the World Financial Center, about 100 feet south, along the
 river.

 "I remember when I danced at Art on the Beach in the end of the
 1970s. There were empty landfills; it was like landing on Mars. "
 (Chuma)

 Information: http://www.yoshikochuma.org/ or
http://www.rivertorivernyc.com/ 212-835-2789