\\

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Fri May 27 22:51:54 CEST 2005

N.Y. Woodpecker Thinks Reflection Is Enemy

By Associated Press
Published May 27, 2005, 12:18 PM CDT

SULLIVAN, N.Y. -- Car owners around town are covering their mirrors in
an attempt to outsmart a woodpecker who apparently thinks his
reflection is an enemy.

Tim Taylor, who owns Thruway Auto Glass, said he replaced 30 smashed
mirrors last year and 18 this year because of the bird, which has
claimed this area east of Syracuse as his territory.

"People come in pretty mad. One guy's been in here three times already
because he keeps forgetting to cover up the mirrors," Taylor said.

During breeding season, male woodpeckers aggressively defend their
turf, even against imaginary foes, said bird-watcher Benjamin Burtt.

Anne Miller has had two mirrors on her Pontiac Grand Prix smashed and
watched the bird attack her neighbor's Malibu.

"I told him to shoo. He did. Then he came right back and finished the
job," she said. "Instead of flying off, he walked across the windshield
and did the passenger mirror. I was flabbergasted."