charm

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat May 14 05:05:10 CEST 2005

charm

we're barreling down the highway it's late at night
headlights towards us veering is it us or them
we can't tell who's awake one direction or the other
there's no time like in the duel to think
we smashed against the rail just a second in midair
falling and hardly breathing before everything disappears
we've got a truck to the left of us throwing things
first small than larger than screaming slamming against us
we've got a small car we can't fight them off we spin
we slalom crashing over the edge we're in midair
just like in easy rider we're dead along the highway
i'm driving sleeping i'm seeing double seeing lamposts bend
everything filtered and shaky i can't think what's that now
the radio's off the radio's on i don't know the difference
is it you talking or me wait you're not moving
i'm not moving the world turns fast suddenly it's all over
we're rounding a bend furious lightning sudden crack
we're startled slide into the traffic down the embankment
just like in crash we're jammed and careening no stopping us
brakes give out no nothing eighteen wheels coming up fast
no stopping them we're crushed beneath no moving now
motor halts we're hard slammed through the windshield
my throat's cut i can't see anything where are you
we're hurt screaming the car's heaped on top us
night the rain the search dead cell phone we're out of luck
the pedal won't ease up we're out of control skidding
hailstorm shattered glass i swerve too fast
engine light's on gaslight oil light brakelight too
we're bullet hurtling night we've got all day
to get there

=