NEW REVIEWS ON FURTHERFIELD MAY 05.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue May 10 15:08:03 CEST 2005

NEW REVIEWS ON FURTHERFIELD.ORG MAY 05.

New reviews/works/conferences Featured.

Al reviews can be accessed from front page
http://www.furtherfield.org

Work In Progress - Conor McGarrigle. Reviewed by Pau Waelder.
A new reading of Ulysses is being developed by Irish net artist Conor
McGarrigle , who has set himself the task of creating a series of pieces
based upon James Joyce’s novel. The project is unusually large in scale
for a net art piece. As McGarrigle puts it “It’s a big project, but it’s
something I wanted to do, because I wanted to start a project that I
could work on over a long period of time, because a lot of what I did
before was short, self-contained and have no follow-on, which is how a
lot of net art is like.” Reviewer: Pau Waelder.
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=134

Ideal Word - Enrique Radigales. Reviewed by Chris Joseph.
Rather than battling against the huge fluidity of viewing conditions,
ideal Word actively explores an intrinsic concept of digital production-
(WYSIWYG)- only it's what you see is almost what you get. 'What You See
Is What You Get'. Rather than battling against the huge fluidity of
viewing conditions, idealword.org actively explores this intrinsic
feature of digital art - what you see is almost what you get. For site
creator Enrique Radigales, this 'almost' describes' a blurred
circumstance, a space for the translation between the digital and
analogue states, the relationship between the contemporary human being
and its coexistence with computerized environments."
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=137

Pervasive Connections. Reviewed by Ruth Catlow.
Pervasive Connections was an event organised by SPACE Media Arts and
Iniva 'focusing on opportunities for artists to work with new social
technologies'. The day comprised of presentations, workshops and panel
discussions and tickets were sold out, mainly to artists, arts
organisers and producers. Let's Do Lunch by Take2030 which 'tracks
Hackney's public access wireless nodes and its lunch menus along bus
route 26 in the form of a series of documentary videos' was also
installed in the Space gallery.
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=140

Dreamlogs - Christophe Bruno. Reviewed by Dan Waber.
On the way I learned that Dreamlogs are "The new world order" and
"confront the temporality of a dreamed life with the infinite
dimensionality of speech" and "an idea association engine". "They
propose another way to surf on the Internet, by disentangling the
discourses that have interlaced over time" and "a new interface to the
Global Text: a non-utilitarian and non-local alternative to search
engines".
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=138

Feral Trade Coffee - Kate Rich. Reviewed by Ruth Catlow.
Feral Trade Coffee: A New Media For Social Networks: Feral Trade Coffee
is imported by Kate Rich from Sociedad Cooperative de Cafecultores
Nonualcos R.L. in high altitude El Salvador and traded along social
networks. Whilst never actually calling itself art, this project reveals
the social-context, texture and aesthetics of this venture in ‘new
international trade relations’, with coffee as its medium.
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=142