Cat taC

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun May 8 07:25:38 CEST 2005

Cat taC

Set up the Schrodinger experiment as before. The cat-space contains food,
a cat-box, water, a place to sleep, all comfort comforting. Conduct the
experiment. Wait two weeks, check the result, then open the box. The cat
is either dead or alive. What about the cat? If the cat has died, surely
it would have died with the arrival of the particle. Naturally the cat
would have decayed. If the measurement implies consciousness, then
consciousness is retroactive, an absurdity. If the cat is alive, the same.
Say it is the consciousness of a cat; use a plant, with lights, water, a
happy atmosphere. If dead, then wilted; if alive, the same. Conduct the
experiment with a mixing of viscous liquids. It takes weeks for full
mixture. How far have we gone in two weeks? Either partial mixture or
none. We assume in these cases the quantum measurement is automated;
conscious doesn't enter into it until later. We assume we are simply
reading an earlier result. If the jump occurs only at the time of reading,
then we know the mix has been in abeyance. If it occurs earlier, there's a
problem. What is the problem in case A? What is the problem in case B?