Petition against the demolition of Metelkova

Anna Balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Tue May 31 11:17:33 CEST 2005

[Dear all,
many of you might know about  Metelkova, a former military complex in
the center of Ljubljana squatted and turned into a cultural city in the
90s. It hosts  many independent groups and organisations. The City Of
Women resides there amongst others, close to independent galleries
and concert halls.  Even the Arteast, the most complete art collection of
the 60's, 70's, 80's from East Europe, presented in 2000, is on show in
Metelkova. The demolition of the cultural complex would make
impossible the work of the groups based there at one hand. It would
also correspond with the gentrification of the urban space, a much
controversial phenomena experienced in  whole of Europe. Please
consider to sign the petition, and forward a mail to the people of whose
competence would allow a more constructive solution
greetings,
ab]

PETITION AGAINST THE DEMOLISION OF  METELKOVA CITY CULTURAL
COMPLEX

IN LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

May, 31, 2005

METELKOVA CITY  CULTURAL CENTRE was a former ex-Yugoslav military
complex in the center of Ljubljana,  squatted by artists, activists,
cultural workers, etc. from Ljubljana / Slovenia in 1993.

METELKOVA CITY CULTURAL  CENTRE  represents one of the most
prominent cultural/artistic landmarks of the city of Ljubljana.

It's reputation reaches well over the borders of the state of Slovenia.

Dated this Wednesday, June 1, 2005, the State Inspection for
Environment and Space of Slovenia announces the beginning of the
demolitions of some objects of Metelkova. It is our firm belief that such
a demolition opposes civilized norms of the world we all share.

We thus urge you to use all your influence in finding a more
constructive solution for the future of this unique cultural phenomenon.
Such a solution should, of course, take into full account the will of
groups and individuals who created (and continue to do so) Metelkova
City  Cultural Centre.

Your act – signature, your voice – may be of great help for us who go
into defending this unique cultural, artistic, social and political space,
that is
known all over the world.

Support us in our struggle for the last free and urban space in the
centre of Ljubljana! So send the petition, spread the word, inform
colleague

musicians, artists, activists...

Sincerely yours,

Miha Zadnikar
On behalf of the Forum of  Metelkova City Autonomous Cultural Centre
http://www.metelkova.org

... Send one copy or Cc to
 info at metelkova.org

AND TO :

Ms. Danica Simsic/ mayor of the City of Ljubljana

danica.simsic at ljubljana.si

Mr. Igor Omerza / vicemayor of the City of Ljubljana

igor.omerza at ljubljana.si

Mr. Milos Pavlica, podžupan / vicemayor of the City of Ljubljana

milos.pavlica at ljubljana.si

Mr. Slavko Slak, podžupan / vicemayor of the City of Ljubljana

slavko.slak at ljubljana.si

Bureau of the President of the State of Slovenia

gp.uprs at up-rs.si

Ministry for Culture of RS

gp.mk at gov.si

Signatures:

PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME,  work profile and city/state if you  are AGAINST
THE ACT OF DEMOLITION!